How do these server options sound to you?

All about Chaos for Unreal... (UT3, UT2004, UT2003, UT)
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

How do these server options sound to you?

Post by R.Flagg »

I find this list of options to be very desirable. Do you think these are good ideas to have as options for a UT3 server?

bEnableVoting - Setting this to "false" will disable all voting on the server. This overrules any other voting settings.

benablewarmupVoting - Setting this to "false" will disable voting for warmup on the server. Defaults to "true".

bEnableGametypeVoting=True - Setting this to "false" will disable gametype voting on the server. Defaults to "true".

VotingGametypes[0-5] - Use the provided values in the ini as an example. Gametypeclass is the actual class name of the gametype. GametypeName is the name to provide to clients in the voting list. MapPrefix is the prefix of the maps that will be allowed for this gametype. You can remove these lines to disable voting for that gametype.

VotingPercentRequired - This is the percent of "yes" votes required for a vote to pass. Defaults to "51.0" or 51%.

VotingTimeLimit - This is the time before a vote will fail if not enough players have voted yes. Defaults to "30.0" or 30 seconds.

bEnableUnlimitedWarmup - Setting this to "true" will make warmup time unlimited, it will not end until all players have given their ready signals. Defaults to "true".

warmuphealth - This is the amount of health to give players during warmup. Defaults to "199".

bAlwaysAllowWeaponThrow - Setting this to "true" will allow players to throw weapons even if weaponstay is set to "on".
genman
The Rail Man

Post by genman »

I haven't played much UT3, but the setting look fine.

Why no bots on the server ?
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

-UT3 has warmup feature, but it's broke.

-UT3 has mapvoting, but it's very limited, and the vote timer/percentage type stuff is pretty much broke too.

-Epic (IMO stupidly) removed the weapon toss.

Those settings I listed are not available in UT3, they are in a mutator called CustomUT. Which I guess is the next generation of the dreaded UTComp. Naturally I dislike things like hitsounds and brightskins, which UTComp is infamous for, but Epic pretty much took care of those in the vanilla game anyway. :roll:

The fact is if I leave UTComp's reputation out of the equation, and just look at that partial list of features, it looks pretty darn useful. Since apparently you can shut off pieces you don't like. There is already a weapon toss mut of course, but I guess if we ever were going to do this, it's best to try to use least amount of mutators as possible.

I'd rather not use this mutator. I'd rather either Epic (or maybe Chaos) fix some of these things so that another mut on our server was not needed. But we'll have to see how things pan out.

Oh, and no bots because too many people won't stay and play if they join and see bots. But, almost every single time I join, more folks join too. It's that same old mentality, where folks apparently stare at the browser all night instead of being the 1st one to join. Sad, but true.
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Actually, if you think about it...., it might be a good idea to add a mutator - Any mutator - to the server, just so it's no longer being tracked for stats.

Forcing folks to log in and play with stats -and 0 privacy!!- is a very, very stupid idea for a MP game that wants lots of players.

Maybe we should add a mutator just for that purpose alone. Maybe the mutator doesn't even actually 'do' anything. Just call it the BigBrotherKiller mut. :lol:
Zachariah
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Zachariah »

I disagree flagg. stats are the bomb.

case in point.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Zachariah/stats/TF2
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

You are simply incorrect. Forcing unique IDs and stats on thousands of casual players will never be a good idea. Not this year, and not next.

The Gamespy decision Epic made really should cost somebody a job.
Bruce9950

Post by Bruce9950 »

Zachariah wrote:I disagree flagg. stats are the bomb.

case in point.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Zachariah/stats/TF2
I have to agree with you stats are the bonb.I think most players would like to see how they fare against other players.Chaos does not have to go that route
Head Shot (ooooooooooooh i love that)Ha Ha Ha Ha.

Kaboodles

Post by Kaboodles »

Stats are fun, although they sometimes cause people to do irrational or stupid things. What kind of stats are being tracked by Gamespy anyway?
High Council member of The Generals
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Here's mine:

http://www.enemydown.co.uk/ut3stats.php?id=104142110

And those kinds of things are available to view in-game as well, for yourself, or if you add Friends.

If it were possible to simply opt out on a personal basis, as it should be, than there would not be an issue. It's -once again- the lack of options here that is the real killer. Had they allowed for some to do it and others not to, we could all just get along.

I don't really care about people seeing my stats, as I realize they mean nothing. BigBrother does not even know the difference between actual gaming and just goofing off, for example. But the entire concept of forcing unique IDs and stats on the entire online scene... still seems like New Coke kind of decision to me.
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

genman wrote:Why no bots on the server ?
Just FYI - the current Map Voting mutator we are testing for [BIA]DarthMushak, also aims to allow for bot voting too. So that folks can vote to add bots to the current game if they wish. Actually I think that works now, he's just gotta add an easy way to then remove them. Here's from the readme:
;; EnableAddBotVoting - Must be set to true or false. Default is 'false' if this
;; setting is not present or is commented-out.
;;
;; NOTE: 0.3.1 -- there is no limit on adding bots, except the game player limit
;; and I did not add a "kick all bots" option - will fix soon.
;;
EnableAddBotVoting=true
Feel free to join the server and help test this out.

So if this does get worked out, you'll be able to join the server, and right in the middle of whatever map is running you'll be able to vote up any game type you want, and any map we have listed for that game type, and even add bots if you want. And if you happen to be the only one there, then of course your vote wins.

And the only price you pay is downloading the mutator once when you join (well... maybe also down the road if you let it get auto-deleted from your cache).