the State of Chaos

All about Chaos for Unreal... (UT3, UT2004, UT2003, UT)
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

the State of Chaos

Post by R.Flagg »

Chaos is a wonderful series of mods. It would be a shame to see it end, after 10 great years. However, there is no mod without talented coding.

So that's where we are at now. We would love to see Chaos return, in some game, some where, but we need a new coding friend or two to make that happen.

In the mean time, it might seem slow, or even 'dead' around here, but don't let that discourage you from contacting us. It's just that without active coding going on, there's simply not a whole lot to talk about. Some of us do in fact still linger and lurk. And we're keeping our eyes on the new games being made for the PC.

So... IF you are a coder, and are looking for a cool project to work on, please do contact us. We'd love to hear from you. I won't say our various members would be willing to work on just any game out there, but we'd at least be willing to talk about it.

Thanks for reading!
L'architecte

Post by L'architecte »

hi there
I am coding since 1 year and a half.
I have joined the team of the french LinUT mod. Due to my own efforts and the help of the Unreal-Design Community, I have greatly improved my skills at coding, I have already realised 5 weapons including the replication part (but without animations), several mutators and monsters (without animations), all made from original and unexplored concepts.
As we are actullay working on an IR (the next PR might be released in a few months, after a long time of inactivity^^), we are really busy with it mainly because the dev team is very reduced and afraid of the huge amount of work...
Anymay if you need any help of any kind, ideas, advices or whatever, even if I am not a expert, I'd be glad to help
Be excessive.
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Thanks, appreciate the reply/offer.

What we'll be looking for is someone to basically join the team 'full-time'. Someone who is capable of coding the majority of the mod from the ground-up, so to speak. Custom weapons, custom game types, custom features, and so on.

Other help would of course be appreciated as well (such as non-lead coders who can help with the smaller things), but until we have that lead position filled, there's no point in really trying to begin anew.

We realize of course it's a tough thing to ask. A tough position to fill, as Chaos requires many complicated weapons and features. But that's just how it goes. On the other hand, Chaos is also a really sweet mod to work with, and can get someone lots of attention, and have a lot of fun at the same time. So it really is a two-way street, for the right person.

Hope this makes sense. ?
L'architecte

Post by L'architecte »

Sure, am sorry I can not help at the level you require, I am already a full time LinUT coder/mapper/skinner :lol:
Be excessive.
Tim
Chaotic Dreams Team

Meh!

Post by Tim »

Hey, remember me? It's been a while...

I know this is an awfully old bump, but...

I haven't done uScript for a long time now, but I'd love to re-learn and help with CUT3.

Also, there is another option that would require more work, but would be very rewarding - create an independent ChaosUT game.

I know of a guy who's making an engine for D (my fav programming language), that guy also happens to be familiar to uScript and is making a language damn similar to it (I help him develop it), called Monster Script.
So, if anyone's interested in learning D (similar to C++, only much better -- you'll love it), you could consider lending me a hand.

We could help with OpenMW in the meantime and fork the project once it reaches a decently mature state. Then the uScript (well, Monster Script) coders will help with that end.

Yeah, it's a big idea, but if ChaosUT can happen, why not this? Besides, once the engine's up and running (biggest problem is AI), we'd have the prereqs!
I'm working on a 2D game engine in OpenGL right now, and I'm sure I could pull off modifying a 3D game engine.

I can't do this alone, at least not until I get some answer (aka motivation).

--Tim

EDIT: Oh yeah, here's the link:
http://openmw.sourceforge.net/jaws/

It's open-source, so even if some things don't fit our needs, it can be modified - I know the language (D) well.

Here's the link to the scripting language:
http://monster.snaptoad.com/
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Hello again Tim.

All of that sounds very interesting, but my experience with previous contacts has taught me it's best to handle things one little step at a time.

Preferably you can join us in IRC sometime, and chat about things. If I don't see you there anytime soon, I'll send you a PM, and we'll go from there.
UTNemesis

Post by UTNemesis »

How difficult is it to go from Java/C++ to UScript? To be completely up front, I haven't written a single line of UScript before, but I have been working with Java for some time (my full-time job is Java web application development actually), and most of my college courses used C++.

I'd love to give it a go and see what I can do. If I can't contribute in any way, I'll feel ashamed :). Other than possibly my self-esteem, it wouldn't hurt anything would it?

Just let me know if you have any questions or comments.
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Well, we'd love to see you take a shot at things.

I've been on vactation since this past Sunday, and this is my first time on the net since. I'll be back at home and in our IRC channel late Friday night.

If there's anyone in the IRC room before then, feel free to ask them for background info or whatever. Anti-Gravity Belt (we have a beta) and Offhand grappling hook would be key items, just to give you something to think about.

Thanks for the interest.
UTNemesis

Post by UTNemesis »

I probably won't be around this Friday, but I'm looking into getting some of the necessary tools together (WOTgreal or conTEXT, and UCodeX) for UScript development now. I'll tinker around with these things more over the weekend.

Also, I need to install UT'99 and the Chaos mod again to bring myself back up to speed. :)
coopdvi1

I NEED CHAOS!!!

Post by coopdvi1 »

We've enjoyed ChaosUT2 ever since I downloaded it. The maps were O.K., the pick-ups were good, and the weapons were very good. However, in particular we liked the grapple. We would play vehicle deathmatch on onslaught maps (our favorite is Crossfire); the fast-paced, three-dimensional fighting that took place was unparalleled (in my limited experience). It was like superheroes fighting vs. Raptors, grappling to rooftops to ion-paint tanks. It was great.

But now you've spoiled us. Now we can't play a game without a functional grapple. THe maps are all flat: even if there's other levels, campers rule. The pace is too slow: it takes forever to "run" anywhere, and vehicles as transportation seems dumb. (Just put a bus in the map!) And, most importantly, evasion is non-existent. If someone has a rocket launcher and you don't, you're dead: they'll mindlessly spray the map until they kill you. If someone has a vehicle and you don't, you're dead: they'll mindlessly spray the map until they kill you. If you both have, then you'll both mindlessly spray the map until someone dies. (So, let's everyone camp!) Grappling provides an evasion that can't be reproduced, even with a hover board, thereby reducing the omnipotence of certain weapons and vehicles (thereby reducing camping). It's not just a gameplay choice; it's a necessity.

So, now that UT3 has no real grapple (that functions as good as yours, anyway) and ChaosUT3 is dead, we simply don't play UT3: we still have our Spider-Man vs. Batman fights on UT2004. Sure, the graphics aren't as nice; but the gameplay's spectacular!

Is there even a chance that some Chaos content will be released for UT3? Like that grapple?

SJC
Dorian_Old

hiya

Post by Dorian_Old »

As a former ChaosUT2 beta tester I sure do admire your enthusiasm! UT2004 was actually my first beefy game and I was amazed by the game alone. I was actually still on dialup when I bought it, even a bit into becoming a BT. Little did I know when I bought the ECE DVD edition and installed it I had also installed a bunch of the 'ECE mods' (sadly I didn't know what a mod was, yet). Honestly I bought UT2004 because my friend told me too, but anyway I tried out what was a very early version of Chaos and was floored. I avoided the duel gametype for a while because I thought it was the other custom duel gametype (like in UT3). Yeah I agree the movement in UT3 is 'clunky' or I feel like I'm underwater when I jump or even double jump. Do you play on a public/lan/listen server or what? If you don't know of genman's (a very longtime player) and are interested, here's the info:

Chaos Ver 3.76 Running Standard and CBP Maps

68.9.75.118:7777
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Thanks for the kind words.

You feel the same as I have since Hexenworld - it's hard to enjoy a twitch shooter FPS w/o a Chaos-y grapple.

But we're not holding out on you, there simply isn't one available for UT3 yet.
coopdvi1

Explanation

Post by coopdvi1 »

I guess I am a little enthusiastic, but it's not because I'm a fanboy. We take games at little more seriously around here, as we use them for training. Ever hear how playing chess can make you smarter? Well, if properly constructed, games can fix a wide variety of psychological problems. Without going into too much detail, let's say I am given a particular psychological disorder (with particular characteristics). Rather than going through years and years of therapy trying to un-condition an automated response, it is possible to construct a FPS gametype with particular starting weapons, vehicles, etc. that will un-condition the subject. (Yes, I'm an academic researcher: I'm working on the "cure" for disorders like ADD and OCD.) The game won't "fix" the psyche problem; however, it will remove the automation from the behavior so that the subject, when in the situation in question, can decide to do what they're supposed to do/not do what they're not supposed to do. Anyway, that's why I'm enthusiastic.

We only play on a LAN, playing a much-refined version of 1-on-1 vehicle deathmatch on Onslaught maps. The maps are big (as they should be) and music-less: players are expected to use the "3D" sould to find their opponents. It's actually very strategic and very intense, both of which furthers the training cause. ChaosUT2 has been invaluable to that cause, so I guess that means I'm a fan. Boy.

SJC