Testing a new Chaos server setup.

All about Chaos for Unreal... (UT3, UT2004, UT2003, UT)
PhuchqMee

Testing a new Chaos server setup.

Post by PhuchqMee »

A little green on this so be a little patient with it.

Ok, I have a server up Chaos PhunHouse running the standard Chaos UT 3.76. I have not had anyone connect other than myself, so as far as the outside world, this is untested and it needs users. I have noticed one problem, there doesn't seem to be a ping time with it? I dont know if this is due to my firewall or not, I run PFSense for a firewall and have the proper ports passed to the server box. Maybe I need to make the firewall pingable. I'll have to look into that. Can anyone connect and see if connecting is even possible? My LAN network is fast and low latency and wired with CAT6. It shouldn't be too shabby for play.

I need to sleep here soon as I work nights, but I have tonight off so I should be able to pay some attention to things if my wife doesn't have other plans.
genman
The Rail Man

Re: Testing a new Chaos server setup.

Post by genman »

Hi There, I tried to join your server but couldn't connect. You may need to allow it through your firewall, also if your behind a router you'll need to set that up too.

Go here for opening router ports for the game: http://portforward.com/guides.htm
PhuchqMee

Post by PhuchqMee »

It would be fantastic to test in real time with someone. I'll have to try pressing a little harder with a guy I work with to get him setup properly on his end and talk on the phone as we are testing. I have applied a couple changes to my firewall so we'll have to see how it goes.

Unfortunately, my firewall distro wasn't created with games in mind. It's very robust and very fast though, so once I get the rules set up it should rock. PFSense isn't referenced at portforward. they don't cover linux based firewalls, but thanks for the thought :) Used that place a lot with vanilla firewall/routers.

Even though there is a little information in the PFSense forums, the people there don't really want to talk about games etc. and the information I found I believe was for the previous distro of the firewall.

=======================
Default UT2004 ports including server initiated outgoing connections:

Incoming:
7777-7778 UDP
7787-7788 UDP
28902 TCP {Webmin Port TCP}

Outgoing:
27900 UDP
28902 TCP/UDP
Tim
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Tim »

PhuchqMee wrote:Unfortunately, my firewall distro wasn't created with games in mind. It's very robust and very fast though, so once I get the rules set up it should rock. PFSense isn't referenced at portforward. they don't cover linux based firewalls, but thanks for the thought :) Used that place a lot with vanilla firewall/routers.
Does PFSense work with iptables? If so, the maybe I could help -- it's been *ages* since I've configured iptables, but I'm sure I'll remember somehow!
PhuchqMee

Post by PhuchqMee »

It doesnt use the standard linux iptable, this is a dedicated distro for firewall/router use. I haven't worked with iptables myself, but they look like a headache. The interface of PFSenseis actually very nice, but there are quite a number of options as it's very flexible. On this you need to forward the ports you need, then create the rules for it as well. There is an option for automatic rule generation based on ports forwarded which seems to work fine. Advanced options are a little overwhelming though, and I certainly am open to suggestions as I will never know all the things this can do.

I am good at basic firewall setup, but PFSense is a whole different breed of cat. I'll continue to work at this in my spare time. I know there is a way around it, just finding what it needs and what I missed in the settings is pretty much what it amounts to. I might have to set it up as a DMZ on a different subnet, but wasn't really wanting to do that. The firewall runs on a micro ATX machine with GB interfaces. You'd probably really like it, but almost have to have a running copy yourself to know what I'm looking at.
Tim
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Tim »

PhuchqMee wrote:The firewall runs on a micro ATX machine with GB interfaces. You'd probably really like it, but almost have to have a running copy yourself to know what I'm looking at.
Nice. We use ClearOS at home right now, for a router, though we've also used IPCop in the past -- both firewall distros.
PhuchqMee

Post by PhuchqMee »

Tim wrote:
PhuchqMee wrote:The firewall runs on a micro ATX machine with GB interfaces. You'd probably really like it, but almost have to have a running copy yourself to know what I'm looking at.
Nice. We use ClearOS at home right now, for a router, though we've also used IPCop in the past -- both firewall distros.
Sweet! I looked at IPCop and monowall, but ended up with PFSense. Might have found the culprit though... reads something like this "By default, pfSense rewrites the source port on all outgoing packets. Many OS's do a poor job of source port randomization, if they do it at all. This makes IP spoofing easier, and makes it possible to fingerprint hosts behind your firewall from their outbound traffic. Rewriting the source port eliminates these potential (but unlikely) security vulnerabilities."

I'll read the rest here in a bit when I wake up more! Gotta have ma tea n krumpets.. errr... ok, a coke n some caffine, but it works :D

update:
http://jackassofalltrades.org/2010/03/p ... nd-gaming/
Found this link. Might or might not be working. I reset the states and restarted the server to create new states.
genman
The Rail Man

Post by genman »

I tried to connect to the server, I'm getting a version mismatch when trying to connect. Make sure you have version 3.76 installed, then update to 3.81

http://files.chaoticdreams.org/Chaos/Ch ... 2004/beta/
PhuchqMee

Post by PhuchqMee »

genman wrote:I tried to connect to the server, I'm getting a version mismatch when trying to connect. Make sure you have version 3.76 installed, then update to 3.81

http://files.chaoticdreams.org/Chaos/Ch ... 2004/beta/
Sorry about the delay, I just updated to 3.81 and added the Chaos community bonus pack. I hope adding the pack works ok. Not sure if it will send out levels to clients if you dont already have the level installed or not.