Chaos Team please read

Discussions about Chaos mapping for the UT series.
VEGA

Post by VEGA »

Have you guys tried out the map yet please do.
FurrySound

Post by FurrySound »

I did take a quick look at the map. You may wonder why I only took a quick look. My FPS hit single digits in some areas and that just makes it unplayable. I'm not sure what you can 'change' to fix this. Esp in the small back room and also looking around in the other room. Even in a map, like DM-Phobos2, which kills my FPS, its still better. I run at 640x480x16 with all the eye candy turned off on a P3-800. On most games I play, virtually all online, I rarely get FPS that low, and that's only when there are 3 or more people on my screen with projectiles, etc...

For this shot, I'm infront of the spawn point and there are no bots in this room. I sat still till the FPS stabilized and then took the screen cap.

FurrySound{Moo}
FurrySound{TOC}
-The sun never sets on the Chaotic Dreams Empire
VEGA

Post by VEGA »

Hmmm your the only one everyone else i talked to said they had no problems and ive updayed the maps, and the bots will go in there, the nodes lead down there and show that there working in the ED. So i dunno if u got a bad file or what.
VEGA

Post by VEGA »

Hmmm your the only one everyone else i talked to said they had no problems and ive updayed the maps, and the bots will go in there, the nodes lead down there and show that there working in the ED. So i dunno if u got a bad file or what.
FurrySound

Post by FurrySound »

I timed the room so there wouldn't be any bots when taking the pic.. to be sure it wasn't bots causing the problem.

FurrySound{Moo}
FurrySound{TOC}
Gasman
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Gasman »

This is on a P4 1.8 ghz, 256mb ram and 64mb of vid all on normal settings in UT2k3. There is just a FPS killer in that one spot.
Gasman
jeditobe1
Inactive Chaos Team Member

Post by jeditobe1 »

Are those shadows on the cieling drawn in or just cast from a light?

With that many objects on the ground forming the grating and casting light up part of it might be shadow rendering? Dont know a ton about mapping so i wont try to hazard too many guesses. Also is the fencing causing the same mass shadow generation? etc.
I make Darth Vader look like a teenage punk with a lightsaber.
LoQtUS

Post by LoQtUS »

the map needs to be antiportholed. the problem is that the engine is rendering too many polys at once.

:borg:
The Dark Side of Chaos.
FurrySound

Post by FurrySound »

Marsfyre mentioned that the 'pool' is extending beyond the walls into areas you would never see. I recommend the music be pulled out of the map and put into an OGG file instead. Makes the map a lot smaller.

FurrySound{Moo}
FurrySound{TOC}
Sir Tahngarth

Post by Sir Tahngarth »

Just to let you know, i have been working on a KOTH map for a little while now (Loq showed me the mapping guide), and i was wondering if you might be able to give me some kind of access to the actors needed for the map- or at least a convinent placeholder. :)
I slay thee in the name of Khaz Modan!
jb

Post by jb »

Sure.
Jb