I got an evil duel map idea, but no skills to make it.

Discussions about Chaos mapping for the UT series.
Kyllian

I got an evil duel map idea, but no skills to make it.

Post by Kyllian »

Like the title says, I can't map to save my life, so I need someone to take up the idea, please :D

Here's the basics, the map is 2 pillars, walls and a ceiling(with a darkish, gothic appearance). Each player spawns on their respective pillar, and a few seconds later, each pillar falls, requiring the players to take their fights to the sky using the grappler

Thoughts? Comments? Hate Mail?
(Melaneus) Dammit, don't you know Furrysound's actually this hot anthro cat goddess? Who does server administration?
Defilus

Post by Defilus »

Sounds cool, its kinda hard to do since the pillars have to be movers (special kinds of brushes). I'd do it but im not quite sure how to reset the movers at the beginning of the round. Sounds awesome though, can you give me some more details about it?
"The most wasted chunk of flesh is your own."
-Anonymous
jb

Post by jb »

Does sound cool...however the bots need "help" with the grappling :)
Jb
Kyllian

Post by Kyllian »

jb wrote:Does sound cool...however the bots need "help" with the grappling :)
Yea, bots can be pretty "thick-skulled" when it comes to new code
Defilus wrote:can you give me some more details about it?
You know the old churches with the obscenely high ceilings? It'd look similar to that kind of design(or kinda like an old grain bin if that helps too) and assuming I still have the pic, I may have a good idea for a stained glass window :twisted:
(Melaneus) Dammit, don't you know Furrysound's actually this hot anthro cat goddess? Who does server administration?
Defilus

Post by Defilus »

Something like THIS perhaps?

( the screenshots dont show it but the rooms (together) are about 8000+ high. thats REALLLLY high.)

EDIT: i don't know why the images arent working... here's the links to them though.
http://www.geocities.com/thezerginator/drop02.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/thezerginator/drop01.jpg

images still aren't working... i'll have to find somewhere else to upload them.
-Anonymous
FurrySound

Post by FurrySound »

R-click and save as works on the links.
FurrySound{TOC}
-The sun never sets on the Chaotic Dreams Empire
Kyllian

Post by Kyllian »

Defilus wrote:Something like THIS perhaps?

( the screenshots dont show it but the rooms (together) are about 8000+ high. thats REALLLLY high.)
Nice start. Think you'd be able to round out the ceiling as well? I'll see if I can dig up that pic I mentioned as a "stained glass" window

Found it :twisted:
Image link removed by FurrySound{Moo}

Think you could add this in somewhere? Scaled down a bit of course (Not my work, can't remember where I found it.)
Last edited by Kyllian on Sat Dec 13, 2003 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Defilus

Post by Defilus »

Sure can. Wont me too much of a problem.

I'll get to work on it tonight, im headin off to my girlfriends house for the day. I'll be sure to keep you posted though. =)
-Anonymous
Kyllian

Post by Kyllian »

Sweet, take your time.
Shadowstar
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Shadowstar »

The pillars would not be possible, at least not the way you intended. Firstly, playerstarts can't be placed on movers, and secondly, there is no scripting event for the start of a new round, to trigger the pillars to come back up. We would need to make Duel call an event at the start of a round, and then have the pillars be triggered by that event. Then, all we'd need is someone to figure out how to restore Unrealed 2's ability to attach navigation points to movers and we'd be set.

Unfortunately, however, I would imagine this concept is a pipe dream.

This map concept could work for UT1 though.
Defilus

Post by Defilus »

Shadowstar i dont mean to disappoint you, but you CAN place playerstarts on movers. UnrealEd gives you a notification that the playerstart "is not placed on a valid surface, blah blah" when in fact THIS IS JUST A WARNING, NOT AN ERROR. So far the map is playable using a Static from the AbbadonHardware package (lift something, its circular).

I'll get an uploaded copy on my geocities After i make the changes It should be up by morning.

-Defilus

EDIT: forgot to mention that the movers are set to stayopentime of 5 seconds, allowing the players only a few brief seconds of actual free grapple. I can up this if you want, but if players dont grapple immidiately, they are sent to a lavavolume (500 damage/sec) where they die. Pleasant, aint it. :twisted:

unfortunately, the movers come back up before the round ends and have visible "open" bottoms. I can try to create a custom static for this map (which would be practical, yet time consuming). anyways, as said before ill get a copy of it up before tomorrow. Though it most definitely wont be finished.

-Defilus
-Anonymous
FurrySound

Post by FurrySound »

Sounds interesting... can't wait to see it.
FurrySound{TOC}
Defilus

Post by Defilus »

I just took a bit closer look at the stained glass window picture...

Kinda offensive, but if there are no major objections i'll stick it in there.

EDIT: can't get the map up tonight. It'll have to wait until tomorrow (today, sunday actually) to be uploaded. So far its looking awesome, but its a big no-no for bots. :(

so play it with your friends once its up and ready.

-Defilus
-Anonymous
FurrySound

Post by FurrySound »

I just now looked at the stained glass image closely. I don't know if it just happens to look that way, or it was draw that way on purpose. Either way it looks offensive. I prefer you find another image, or atleast remove that one from your post. Thanks.

EDIT: Ok, I looked at it again and removed the image link.
FurrySound{TOC}
FurrySound

Post by FurrySound »

Something to note when making maps... You can't include someone else's work without asking for permission and giving credit...
FurrySound{TOC}