Traps

Discussions about Chaos mapping for the UT series.
DarK_AssassiN

Traps

Post by DarK_AssassiN »

How do you make them? Im making a duel map and was thinking of putting in a trap but have no idea how...

BTW- How do you make a map so its like 3 on 3 no just 1 on 1?
jb

Re: Traps

Post by jb »

DarK_AssassiN wrote:How do you make them? Im making a duel map and was thinking of putting in a trap but have no idea how...

BTW- How do you make a map so its like 3 on 3 no just 1 on 1?
There is no way to say how to make every trap as the trap itself sets how you need to make them. Most of them use some type of movers (spikes that move up, floors that move out of the way, some thing to cause the player to receive damage. And maybe a trigger.

No way to get just 3 on 3.
Jb
Bananasalat

Post by Bananasalat »

To make traps hurt you, you can use a lava volume (or is it called damage volume)
In Onlinegames my name is >NV<UTMaster.

Es gibt nur einen Gott - BelaFarinRod!
DarK_AssassiN

Post by DarK_AssassiN »

I know what movers are but have never been able to find a good tut to learn how to use them. Can anyone lend me a link of a good one?
343 Guilty Spark

Post by 343 Guilty Spark »

trying to figure out how to get people impaled on things, I mad a pit with spikes, but all they do is bounce off :(
jeditobe1
Inactive Chaos Team Member

Post by jeditobe1 »

I think what shadow did was put a trigger that slammed an invisible mover down on the spike, making it so the pawn couldnt slide off.
I make Darth Vader look like a teenage punk with a lightsaber.
343 Guilty Spark

Post by 343 Guilty Spark »

Found something called spikekarma, seems that its an invisible spike that goes inside the mover that somehow they can stick into.
raptorlead

Post by raptorlead »

i use kactors to make trap doors and physics volumes and emitters to make the traps. one of my personal favs is to make basicly a cross cut set of saw blades spinning so that when you stand on the trap door which is brillantly hidden from the unattentive player he steps on the kactor and it falls down and you fall into the equivalant of a cross cut paper shredder and at the bottom is a pool of blood, gibs, and skeletons.
Shadowstar
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Shadowstar »

kactors don't replicate if I remember correctly. Do they work online or have you tested it?

I use karma spikes to get corpses to stay in place. Karma works a little differently in UT2k4 than in other engines, and corpses tend to have the physical properties of globs of jello when it comes to spikes. They will more often bounce than stick. However, if the spikes move into position quickly enough, they can stick the corpse in place, keeping it from sliding away. In my maps, I trigger the karma structures to move into place instantly, with a move time of 0. This ensures that they catch the corpse properly. Depending on the kind of trap, and how you want the corpses to get held, different karma structures may be neccessary. Spikes work well for most things, but there may be times when you need more of a block or a combination of types.