MELEE ANIM HELP!!

Discussions about Chaos mapping for the UT series.
Gen_Identikal
Chaotic Dreams Team

MELEE ANIM HELP!!

Post by Gen_Identikal »

Ok i know this doesnt belong in the maps section but its the closest thing to this topic. Im making a custom player model for ChaosUT. Problem is, the bones are custom rigged and the CHaosUT melee anims are only for the default bone structures.
Is there anyway i could put custom melee animations for the player model im making??
LoQtUS

Post by LoQtUS »

No
You have to use the standard bone structure. otherwise it will not work. the Melee system is set to use a specific set of anims and will not use any you add to the animations package.
The Dark Side of Chaos.
Gen_Identikal
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Gen_Identikal »

arghf :evil: :!:
Shadowstar
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Shadowstar »

That's the limitation of skeletal animation when it comes to melee combat. A more advanced animation system wouldn't have that trouble, but we're limited by the engine in that regard.
LoQtUS

Post by LoQtUS »

Shadowstar wrote:That's the limitation of skeletal animation when it comes to melee combat. A more advanced animation system wouldn't have that trouble, but we're limited by the engine in that regard.
Heh there is no such thing as a more advanced animation system. the most you could hope for is to peice together smaller anims on the fly, and that would have the same issue. the issue isnt in the animations. Its in the names of the bones that make up the skeliton.

Identikal, If you are interested I could work with you and see if we cant get some sort of makeshift compatability going.
The Dark Side of Chaos.
jeditobe1
Inactive Chaos Team Member

Post by jeditobe1 »

Im not an expert.. but could the author put in additional animations for those various attacks that mimic the basic model, and have those work? The server does not see custom models as far as i know, so it would trace normally, and if the mimics are close enough.. then could it work?

Either way.. probably would be a headache to make code check for those anims existing...
I make Darth Vader look like a teenage punk with a lightsaber.
neolith
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by neolith »

jeditobe1 wrote:Im not an expert.. but could the author put in additional animations for those various attacks that mimic the basic model, and have those work? The server does not see custom models as far as i know, so it would trace normally, and if the mimics are close enough.. then could it work?

Either way.. probably would be a headache to make code check for those anims existing...
I had some long IRC sessions with jb when we started work on the melee system. According to him it is not possible to determine if models come with certain animations. So all models use our anims.
And just as a side note: Even if it would be possible, it would open up the system to cheaters - I could easily create a model with high speed and long range attacks...
LoQtUS wrote: Heh there is no such thing as a more advanced animation system. the most you could hope for is to peice together smaller anims on the fly, and that would have the same issue. the issue isnt in the animations. Its in the names of the bones that make up the skeliton.
The only thing more advanced would be a better bone system, supporting a wider range of translations as in max. Bone-scaling, non-linear animation sharing etc.
–The biggest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn't exist.–
LoQtUS

Post by LoQtUS »

Jedi, no that wouldnt work. damn good idea though.

Neo, I was hoping that the size and proportions of the model were somewhat close to the standard, and thinking that we could rename the bones in the skelly to match, and then tweak the strech/compressed areas until it look somewhat normal. All the work would be on the skelly not the anims.
The Dark Side of Chaos.
jeditobe1

Post by jeditobe1 »

Well i have in mind a way to check and see if the model has a given animation set via another method. Given that that works, and that the server will use the default bone structure if the model is not loaded on the server.. would the mimic idea work?
Gen_Identikal
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Gen_Identikal »

LoQtUS wrote:
Shadowstar wrote:That's the limitation of skeletal animation when it comes to melee combat. A more advanced animation system wouldn't have that trouble, but we're limited by the engine in that regard.
Heh there is no such thing as a more advanced animation system. the most you could hope for is to peice together smaller anims on the fly, and that would have the same issue. the issue isnt in the animations. Its in the names of the bones that make up the skeliton.

Identikal, If you are interested I could work with you and see if we cant get some sort of makeshift compatability going.
That would be awesome :D Id be honoured :D
Gen_Identikal
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Gen_Identikal »

Newayz herez sum pics of the model 8) Made it in 3ds max v5. Everything is original.

I hand drew all the textures so far :D
Gen_Identikal
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Gen_Identikal »

jeditobe1 wrote:Im not an expert.. but could the author put in additional animations for those various attacks that mimic the basic model, and have those work? The server does not see custom models as far as i know, so it would trace normally, and if the mimics are close enough.. then could it work?

If you place custom anims such as SA_daggers etc into the custom model .ukx package wud it play in chaos?
jeditobe1

Post by jeditobe1 »

Was talking it over with the rest of the team.. as i hear our anims would override whatever you put in =(
LoQtUS

Post by LoQtUS »

Ummmm Why would you not rig that model on the standard skelly? It would fit right on there no problems and then you would have no compatability issues, and it would save you from doing alot of animating. that doesnt make sence to me.
The Dark Side of Chaos.
Gen_Identikal
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Gen_Identikal »

LoQtUS wrote:Ummmm Why would you not rig that model on the standard skelly? It would fit right on there no problems and then you would have no compatability issues, and it would save you from doing alot of animating. that doesnt make sence to me.
the proportion gets squished :( + where where do i find the standard skelly?