Mapping Talk

Discussions about Chaos mapping for the UT series.
The_0men

Mapping Talk

Post by The_0men »

I didnt see a thread to ask questions purely about mapping so......now there is :wink: .

Anyway.... i have a question, how do i delete subtracted/added space? And/or how do i keep added/subtracted space when i subtract a bigger space over it? Please help me :) , i understand my questions might be stupid "BUT" i have an excuse...... i am stupid! (drool) :wink:

~ The 0men ~
Zachariah
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Zachariah »

in order to delete added/subtracted space , simply click on the outline of the brush in the top/side/front view or wireframe view , and then either hit delete on your keyboard , or go to edit>delete

As far as
how do i keep added/subtracted space when i subtract a bigger space over it?
I dont think that can be done , the larger subtraction just cancels out any additions within it , so its always best to Subtract first , and then Add.
General_Sun

Post by General_Sun »

Subtract the bigger space somewhere else, and move it over.... :wink:
High Council member of The Generals
The_0men

Post by The_0men »

Thanks, But its still there.....mabe its the texture on it? If its the texture then how do i get rid of it?

What do i do? (read)

~ The 0men ~
General_Sun

Post by General_Sun »

OH you want to delete?

Just select it and hit delete key...

Or am i missing something?
High Council member of The Generals
The_0men

Post by The_0men »

No wait done, Thx sun :P

~ The 0men ~
Zachariah
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Zachariah »

Did you remember to build the map?

Rebuilding the map is Essential to the creation of Any map, and should be done often.
http://www.chaoticdreams.org/bt/Pimpito/MBB.JPG
Last edited by Zachariah on Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The_0men

Post by The_0men »

Thx :)

Its seems every time i fix a problem another pops up :? .
When i delete the subtracted space i lose anything subtracted/added inside it, including the textures on them.... so i try it again by making a box around it all 1st before deleting the brush and it still happens >_<

Is there any way to make the area bigger without kicking everything i have done so far in the shins? (sliced)

~ The 0men ~
Zachariah
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Zachariah »

Instead of Encasing your Level in a larger brush , just increase the Size of your Outer brush. Select It like you would if you were going to move it or delete it , and then use the Scale Tool to Expand it uniformly in all directions

http://www.chaoticdreams.org/bt/Pimpito/MBB.JPG
The_0men

Post by The_0men »

Thanks! I didnt even know the was possible, i thought once they were put there they couldnt be moved, changed or deleted :D .

I know i am a anoying little pain (a) but say there is a skybox of 32768...... how big does the box where the sky ball is have to be? and how big does the sky ball need to be?

Because right now the stars look too close :?

~ The 0men ~
neolith
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by neolith »

The_0men wrote:I know i am a anoying little pain (a) but say there is a skybox of 32768...... how big does the box where the sky ball is have to be? and how big does the sky ball need to be?

Because right now the stars look too close :?
We all had to go through that. ;)

You can have the geometry for the sky at whatever size you like. It is not related to the size of the hull around the level. The hull only tells the renderer where to display the sky. So changing the hull size doesn't make your stars look like farther away.
–The biggest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn't exist.–
The_0men

Post by The_0men »

So if i make the box with the stars and planet in bigger, or make the stars, planet and the box around it bigger it will make the backdrop look further away?

~ The 0men ~
neolith
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by neolith »

The_0men wrote:So if i make the box with the stars and planet in bigger, or make the stars, planet and the box around it bigger it will make the backdrop look further away?
Yes (depending on the texture tiling of course).
–The biggest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn't exist.–
Hammerman

Post by Hammerman »

:lol: Pep, I got a chuckle out of the top-secret blurring in that pic. Maybe I'm too easily amused :lol:

Omen: You CAN make a subtracted space over added space, but after doing so you need to right click on the new subtraction brush and set Order>Order To Last. This will tell the editor to build that brush before anything else within or in contact with it. But as Pepito said, it's better subtract first and only use this re-ordering trick to get out of trouble.

Also you could use the Vertex Editing tool (above and right of the scaling tool) to select and drag the corners of the brush to their new locations. This will keep the brush on the grid and allow seperate lateral and vertical control of where the brush moves to. It's also a great tool for changing simple brush shapes into sloped or angled shapes to get away from square boxey geometry. Only thing to be careful of is dragging a corner out of plane with the others thus twisting the face and probably creating a nasty BSP hole. Hold Ctrl+Alt+Left Mouse button and drag a box over the points ya want to move, then Ctrl+Left Mouse to drag them (I think).

******EDIT******
I was beaten to the punch, but I'll leave this in just in case it helps somebody else :oops:

For your sky, it sounds like you are placing the star texture on the walls of the box you are building in. Better technique is to set the surfaces where you want your sky to be seen as Fake Backdrop in the surface properties Flags section. Then build a seperate "Skybox" outside of your play area with your whole sky scene- Star texture, moons, nebulas..... now place an Info>ZoneInfo>SkyzoneInfo actor in the skybox and it will show the sky scene on all surfaces flagged to Fake Backdrop in your level. I would set the star texture to Unlit for a realistic look with no shadows in the corners. After re-building, go in the play area and check out the sky by hitting K (hotkey for Show Backdrop).
"If you build it.....they will come."---Field of Dreams
The_0men

Post by The_0men »

Nope i did the proper sky box way :) and makin my sky box bigger set hell lose...... I think i should of just left the map alone......its angery with me >_<

~ The 0men ~