Grapple Duel map?

Discussions about Chaos mapping for the UT series.
GB

Post by GB »

does negative gravity work?

i can imaging setting gravity to a negative would mean players would fall up, but not invert, so you'd just headbutt the ceiling...

check out angle mapper page. she did something to give the appearance of different gravity, so that one team is up side down in relation to the other (altho she used warp zones so this wont work online...sigh*).

also, if u set the mover to crush when encroach, surely players would die upon touching the mover? does ignore if encroach not prevent the mover stopping without killing the player?
"All i know is my gut says maybe"
Shadowstar
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Shadowstar »

Negative gravity works fine, but it won't invert players. I use it to create wind tunnels and gravshafts as an alternative to mover-lifts and jumppads. Also, negative gravity zones provide a smoother method of moving upwards than a jump-pad.
jb

Post by jb »

Shadowstar wrote:Negative gravity works fine, but it won't invert players. I use it to create wind tunnels and gravshafts as an alternative to mover-lifts and jumppads. Also, negative gravity zones provide a smoother method of moving upwards than a jump-pad.
Hmmm I remember making a chaossucking actor for UT2k3 that did something like the vortex. A mapper asked me for it to use in a switch for a fan. The idea was you hit this switch, big fan turns on an sucks all in an area into their death. The same concept could work as I made the sucking directional...so one sucks up, the other sucks down?
Jb
Shadowstar
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Shadowstar »

That can be done with a gravity volume, but in that case a sucking actor probably works better. With a gravity volume, all the gravity within the volume moves in one direction. With a sucking actor, it would actually move toward the actor. Theoretically, with such an actor in a 0-G gravity volume, you could get realistic gravitational physics, such as slingshot orbits, etc, sorta like how skilled players can do now with gravity vortexes and aircontrol.

JB, I don't recall seeing this actor in the code? Where is it, I might want to use it at some point.
Hammerman

Post by Hammerman »

:D Me too. It might be perfect for my Asteroid Belt map idea.
---Hamm---
"If you build it.....they will come."---Field of Dreams