Screenshots for my map

Discussions about Chaos mapping for the UT series.
Shadowstar
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Shadowstar »

Redo the lighting? You mean there's actually lighting in this map?

heh...
LoQtUS

Post by LoQtUS »

Mick,
If i were you i would study every mapping tutorial that i could find. Your skill set will improve quite a bit from them. From what i can see from the pics that you posted, the map could use alot of work. A good rule of thumb is dont relase your first 3-5 maps. Then again iv released some stinkers in my time LOL

Think positive and there is nothing that you cant do, Also pay no attention to smartasses who want to make wise cracks about a noob mapper when they really arnt much better then you are. :roll:

And if you have any questions i will try to answer to the best of my ability.
The Dark Side of Chaos.
Zachariah
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Zachariah »

LoQtUS wrote:Mick,
If i were you i would study every mapping tutorial that i could find. Your skill set will improve quite a bit from them. From what i can see from the pics that you posted, the map could use alot of work. A good rule of thumb is dont relase your first 3-5 maps. Then again iv released some stinkers in my time LOL

Think positive and there is nothing that you cant do, Also pay no attention to smartasses who want to make wise cracks about a noob mapper when they really arnt much better then you are. :roll:

And if you have any questions i will try to answer to the best of my ability.
Everything LoQ said there is 100% true , heh .
Shadowstar
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Shadowstar »

hehe... pay no attention to the wise ass behind the curtain ;)
Mick

Post by Mick »

Thanks for the advice everyone, now I'm going to go read one of those lighting tutorials...
Reality is that part of imagination we all agree on.
GB

Post by GB »

sorry im a bit late on commenting on this but ive been feeling so bad recently *cough*cough*....

i had a quick sprakk at the screenies, and if this is your first map, id be chuffed. its better than many ive seen (some ppl release several maps of lower standards...then they finally seem to click what is a good standard).

its already been covered, but the lighting is ...well, absent really. just chuck some in to get a basic ambient light and then fine tune where you specific lighting. thats what i used to do, to get some lighting quickly set up. if you wanted to be adventurous, cut some hole sinto the roof, make a skybox and use sunlight to create some advanced but simple looking light effects. Upping the shadow detail in the surface properties (its the box with numbers in it, set to 4 for max detail) would help to create more detail also.

On the subject of surfaces, the best trick when your new is when you apply textures to surfaces, hit shift+T to select all matching textures, and go to propties and hit the alignment tab. then go choose from default, planar ,box and theres another selection (cant remember). this aligns all your textures automatically, and often saves a lot of hassle in aligning borders etc. it doesnt always work, so be prepared to do it manually using the align texture tool.

Theres a lot to learn in the editor and its well daunting at first, but you'll get the hang of it. the two tricks above should help you raise the standard of your map and future maps with little effort.
i agrre with loq on the 3-5 maps thing, but dont take it as gospel...i reckon boneyard was received pretty well and that was my first ut2004 map, and my 5th map ever. Just learn from the pros, open up some pro maps and see what ideas and techniques they use. sometimes they are better than 100 tuts.

its a bit of a rant now,hope it helps. :)
"All i know is my gut says maybe"
MassChAoS

Post by MassChAoS »

To add onto what he said about lighting.. use sources. For example, use a light source for every light actor you use. Not that you have to have a light source for every light, but logically all light is coming from some source. Sources can be static meshes (ones that resemble lights) or as mentioned the skybox effect. Lava can also generate light, or goo (but I wouldn't recommend that on such a small map).