Proxy spawner???

Discussions about Chaos mapping for the UT series.
Tim
Chaotic Dreams Team

Proxy spawner???

Post by Tim »

Erm.. Hi.. Long time. Anyway, just saying I'm still alive.

Now let's go to the point... There were many suggestion for making a proxy spawner for trap maps in these topics, and I wanted to make one...

So, because I'm not exacly the best at coding, so I was asking if anyone would make a code for a spawner, which would spawn... Erm... Little evil yellow-black... Detonation devices.

I'd also like to make it trigger activated and set a number of mines to spawn in a time scale (not a good idea to spawn like 10 proxy mines before first one even clears the trigger area to make room for other ones...)

Well, also make it "universal", so it can spawn a firemine! :) If anyone would be so kind ^^
GB

Post by GB »

perhaps it could be done from modifing the projectile spawner actor?

tim, perhaps you coudlk try setting the projectile class ass proxy and see what it does. projectile spawners are found in the actor tab, cant remeber which class tho...
"All i know is my gut says maybe"
MassChAoS

Post by MassChAoS »

I have asked for this from Jb, but have seen nothing of it.
Tim
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Tim »

MassChAoS wrote:I have asked for this from Jb, but have seen nothing of it.
same
GB

Post by GB »

i presume its cos hes busy not because its impossible to do?

is the code similar enough from ut99 to ut2004 to copy and paste the morterspawner code into ut2004? with some modifications to include the proxy class, it woulkd be of more use than the projectile spawner.
"All i know is my gut says maybe"
jb

Post by jb »

venalanatomica wrote:i presume its cos hes busy not because its impossible to do?
Yes. I used to spend 3/4 hours every night for the last few years working on Chaos. However I can no longer give that ammount of time. Its down to about 3/4 a week a best. Sorry just the way it goes some times. Will try to get to it as soon as I can...
Jb
Shadowstar
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Shadowstar »

Well, proxies are pawns, not projectiles, so you would need a pawn spawner to make it work. Perhaps a creaturefactory? Dunno if they have those in 2k4... They did in UT'99...

Anyway, something to look into anyway. All things considered, it shouldn't be that hard to code such an actor if neccessary.
jb

Post by jb »

the code is easy to do just it will be a slight bit tricky as you also have to spawn a proxy controller then assign someone as the owner...
Jb
Tim
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Tim »

jb wrote:the code is easy to do just it will be a slight bit tricky as you also have to spawn a proxy controller then assign someone as the owner...
No need: Just put in a normal proxy (not red or blue, but one step higher class), and it will chase anyone it finds. Only funny thing is, that in the game it will write the suicide message. So basically it works as enraged red or blue proxy!
I found that out while i was experimenting on DM-ArenaOfDoom
MassChAoS

Post by MassChAoS »

He has a point... let the owner be the target.
jb

Post by jb »

MassChAoS wrote:He has a point... let the owner be the target.
Yeap I think he is right. Still I am more worried about debuging or log checking to ensure its working as I think thats where all the work in this task lies. The proxy controller was written assuming ceritin things. So worred about log spam if some of those are not accounted for....
Jb
Shadowstar
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Shadowstar »

Hmm... It would be useful if the spawner could create team proxies (imagine the uses in CCTF!), so that you could have a small group of proxies spawn every 2 or so minutes in front of each base and act as guards. Maybe we should also allow the spawner to use a tag as a destination, so that the proxies will head toward something once spawned. This way, we can have armies of proxies spawn and attack each other during games...
jb

Post by jb »

Shadow thats a possible outcome but again the proxys were written to have an owner so spawning them randomly would work but generate some (if not a lot of) ANs. Setting them as trigger may work as the person that triggered the even can be the owner. Or we can redo the controller itself to allow for a case when it has no owner. Not sure which is the way to go here...
Jb
MassChAoS

Post by MassChAoS »

That sounds more like a new feature than something the mapper would do on his own...
Tim
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Tim »

Shadowstar wrote:Hmm... It would be useful if the spawner could create team proxies (imagine the uses in CCTF!), so that you could have a small group of proxies spawn every 2 or so minutes in front of each base and act as guards. Maybe we should also allow the spawner to use a tag as a destination, so that the proxies will head toward something once spawned. This way, we can have armies of proxies spawn and attack each other during games...
(Mmm, imagine the possibilities there)

Also, when I put a proxy in the editor, it attacks everyone, it only writes, that he commited suicide... Probably because of the engine confusing the owner...