This CTF map; bad fps and ugly sky box seams

Discussions about Chaos mapping for the UT series.
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

This CTF map; bad fps and ugly sky box seams

Post by R.Flagg »

But wow, sure is purdy to walk around in.

http://nalicity.beyondunreal.com/map_hub.php?mid=8554

Take a look fer yourself.

It's Semiramis, by scarface.
TKATK
the magical link fairy

Post by TKATK »

20mb :o ? 8O
GB

Post by GB »

seems over the top in detail tbh.

why make a map that only the top 5% of computers can handle?

ive seen a much more successful persian map in the community map pack 1 (or is it 2? cant remeber), and that was ONS and still ran very well.
"All i know is my gut says maybe"
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Sorry, guess I was too brief.
venalanatomica wrote:seems over the top in detail tbh.

why make a map that only the top 5% of computers can handle?
Actually, the only reason I mentioned this map is because of it's 'over the top' detail.

Naturally if your goal is to allow the masses to play intense matches with high player loads, esp in wide open areas, you have to sacrifice details. That fact is as old as dirt. The same thing applies to all game creations, whether they be weapons effects or whatever.

But many of us out here also just enjoy some good quality eye-candy from time to time. There are folks who can and do enjoy getting "over the top" maps like this, runing them on highest details, and simply admiring the view.

For a long time now mappers like Angelheart have made lots of maps for that reason alone, not even caring if it plays well or not. And there are those of us who are happy about that.

(Although I wish authors who attempt those kind of maps would just forget about weapon spawns and stuff - they simply get in the way of the view.)
ive seen a much more successful persian map in the community map pack 1 (or is it 2? cant remeber), and that was ONS and still ran very well.
Well, "successful" has many different interpretations, some of which I find very unappealing.

And we all have our opinions, but I'll put mine this way - I enjoy walking around and just looking in Semiramis, more than I enjoy actually playing in Pasagrada.