Lava volumes...

Discussions about Chaos mapping for the UT series.
Sephiroth

Lava volumes...

Post by Sephiroth »

I usually put a lava volume with a fluid surface info over it as a lave area, but when i was playing a few of these chaos maps, I noticed that corpses that fall into the lava are also burned... Determined to figure this out, I opened it in the editor, but fond that there's no volume, only a fluid surface, and ambient sound... Can anyone explain this so I can make the lava seem more realistic and finish my map?
Tim
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Tim »

They probably used zones. Check the zones, but remember to add portals then.
jb

Post by jb »

Look at its properties at bit closer, Like in its Physicvolume settings:

DamagePerSec=70.000000
bPainCausing=True
DistanceFogColor=(B=14,G=17,R=131)
DistanceFogStart=4.000000
DistanceFogEnd=512.000000

however which map did you see it burn?
Jb
Sephiroth

Post by Sephiroth »

CTF-Magma, and a chaos map Duel-Thermal something
jb

Post by jb »

Sephiroth wrote:CTF-Magma, and a chaos map Duel-Thermal something
In CTF magma they due use a laval volume. Not sure on the dual map. Maybe if you sent a PM to Hammerman as he can tell you how he did it???
Jb
Sephiroth

Post by Sephiroth »

Alright, thx... it's the only thing keeping me from releasing my map ^_^
Hammerman

Post by Hammerman »

Sorry for the delay. I did some investigating and built a test map to confirm. CTF-Magma and DM-CE-Thermotech both use the ZoneInfo actors for the lava kills. In the ZoneInfo> -ZoneInfo> -KillZType set it to KILLZ_Lava. Then use the -KillZ slot to set the elevation where the kill zone will start (trial and error got me there pretty quick. Not sure if there is a more scientific method). Just be sure this area is zoned off from other areas, especially if other areas are lower in elevation than the KillZ starting level.
What Mr. Jb showed for the LavaVolume properties should work, but you can also set it to bWaterVolume=True to get the fluid illusion. You can also use other volumes to make your lava just by setting their DamageType to FellLava.
Hope this helps, if not you can send me the map to see if I can find the problem. Good luck.

---Hammer---

p.s. (Just guessing here) It may also just be your detail settings not showing the effect. Testing from the game instead of the editor might answer that :wink:
"If you build it.....they will come."---Field of Dreams
Shadowstar
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Shadowstar »

Either way works for lava. I prefer to use lava volumes because I can control thier exact shape more easily, but you can use zoneinfo's with KillZ's too. One advantage to using lava volumes is that you can code your own lava volumes and make them do cool things.
Sephiroth

Post by Sephiroth »

I'll try the killz thing, because right now it's a lava volume, it kills people and stuff, it just doesn't burn corpses... It's like because they're dead they get a magic heat shield... O.o
Tim
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Tim »

Sephiroth wrote:I'll try the killz thing, because right now it's a lava volume, it kills people and stuff, it just doesn't burn corpses... It's like because they're dead they get a magic heat shield... O.o
Yeah, I hate that. They get blessed with a heat shield, lol :wink:
GB

Post by GB »

a lava volume should still burn corpses ala skeleton. perhaps your details settings (mentioned above) are not allowing you to see this happen.
"All i know is my gut says maybe"
Shadowstar
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Shadowstar »

Actually that's a quirk with the way Epic coded the Lava Volume. If you can code, you can just copy the lava volume into your mylevel package, and tweak the code so that it also burns corpses. I believe we used something like that for the lightning walls in Arena2. In fact, maybe you could skip the whole coding part and use our Chaoseffectvolume. I think that's what its called anyway... Been a while since I've used it so I'm not sure.