but support no problem...online play support..?

Discussions about Chaos mapping for the UT series.

but support no problem...online play support..?

Post by Guest »

Just about anyone can figure out how to make a map for any gametype (disregarding complexity here) and have bot support for it right? Well I have that mammoth Mastering Unreal Technology book and I'm pretty sure that it doesn't go in depth on how to make every actor in your level have online play support. I am not a professional mapper by any means, but I do have something in my first semi-complete map that I could never get to work online. It was strange, I have a trigger of some sort that spawns that DECO_exploding_barrel in this one kinda small room every time a bot or player runs over the shock rifle pickup in the same room. Actually I have about 10 instances spawn in this triangle formation or something. That way, if you're after the only shock rifle, as soon as you pick it up you have to avoid barrels exploding in your face as you leave the room if someone comes after you and starts a fire fight. Or you can be a jerk and guard the shock rifle and shoot the barrels from a distance and barrel-frag people. I could really care less if anyone thinks that idea was lame, so don't tell me. The important thing is that it was my very first map and it was/is for fun. I guess maybe I should've simply asked, can anyone point me in the direction of a tutorial for this?
Tim
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Tim »

You still weren't clear what's the problem. You want bots to avoid barrels? Try using avoid marker. I never tried it, but it could work. I don't know how to disable that after barrel went boom though. You find it in Navigation Point, I think.

Post by Guest »

Sorry I know I wasn't at all concise. All I want to know is if there are any tutorials out there that explain how to get actors in your level to work online in addition to working offline. Tim, you've probably seen Angel Mapper's tutorials...I'll use one as an example here. The security camera one...at the beginning of the tutorial or in the middle or something she says that it isn't possible to get it to work online. However, at the veryend she states in a small section that someone figured out how to get it to work online...something involving UnrealScript and a modification of a proxy (not a Chaos proxy lol). All I was trying to say in that stupid paragraph was that I can't get my trigger to work for online players. It'll work once...like my friend tried out the map with me once...he ran over the shock rifle pickup, it spawned the barrels, once, and then no more. It spawns them for eternity, offline.
Tim
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Tim »

About barrels - You gotta code new ones.
About camera - My map (ArenaOfDeath) used that and I didn't use that last part Angel Mapper said about. It still worked online. And it worked just fine. No lag produced by it.