Map competition?

Discussions about Chaos mapping for the UT series.
GB

Map competition?

Post by GB »

Hey y'all

i was wondering if anyone is up for a map competition. theres been a whole host of small map competitions based on letters, numbers,words etc and i thought that perhaps we could have some fun doing this.

The premise would eb that we have a limited time (eg 2 weeks) to create a map based on a specific theme - (any major deviation would result in forfeit) something simple, such as a map based on a word or something, so that the layout is of that word. Obviously, the map can be adapted as the word or whatever could form the floor plan, or perhaps be modded as some sort of 2D world similar to the TEAM 17 map in worms...i would also accept levels on more than one level, as long as it still fits the word or whatever.

i thought it could be some fun for the few mappers we have posting here. Perhaps a few of the chaotic elders could judge? otherwise, i could judge and grab a few others to help (obviously if that happens, i wont enter...)

Obviously, maps would be judged on gameplay, visuals, originality and chaoticness....also, if anyone makes me laugh if i judge that would be cool.

I think the ideal sort of map would be duel or DM/CTF 1on1. something small.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, post here, and also any ideas for theme would be cool. Ive sorta nicked that letter idea from hourence's website...

Im suggesting this as i have 2 weeks of doing nothing at uni after thursday, and id like to make a fun map....

thoughts?
"All i know is my gut says maybe"
Tim
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Tim »

I don't know... Map competition? Yeah. I can provide the prize perhaps (webspace).

But I don't really like the whole word idea. Mabye just a competition in a few diffrent classes, like 1on1 DM maps (for CUT2, ofc), and another class for Duel.

Or mabye KOTH, CUT2 really lacks of KOTH!

Competition would turn up a few new maps, but the thing is that some people might get insulted since they'd think they weren't good enough and leave the community.
I also wanted to make a 1on1 DM map competition for SB Collective, but then I figured some people would think they we're good enough to stay in SB, and leave.
GB

Post by GB »

nah man, i meant this all as a bit of fun. If you dont win a compo, thats no reason to leave the community! if they did, im sure they arent the people that matter anyway. Poeple with an attitude like that arent worth the effort in my books anyway...

The word idea was simply to have a unified set of rules. That way its easier to set down the rules (eg max size, hieght) and ensures that no one will be uber serious - its hard to take it too seriously if the floor plan says "chaotic" or whatever.

i think trying to make a competition over a few classes wont work - there isnt enough of us - basically, theres you, l'arch possibly, myself, i dont know where hammer is, pepito is ultra busy i think and besides that, most other people arent around. I cant remember if jb used to map or not...(?)
and hes outta action anyway i beleive...

That basically leaves about 3 of us unless we can find a few others. The idea of the fun part is that so people dont get bogged down with trying to make a full custom map worthy of the CBP! i was hoping that it would get some randoms making maps for chaos aswell....

oh well, it was an idea.
Tim
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Tim »

I know what happened to Hammer... He doesn't want to map anymore, he thinks he isn't good enough to map :(
Couldn't persuade him to start mapping again.
L'architecte

Post by L'architecte »

mmh interesting...
I'll be very busy during the 3 coming weeks, but as I have atfer them 2 weeks holidays, it's ok
I am working at the moment on a DM-map (phew Larch has finally decided to make true maps :lol: ) but as I said just before, I am very busy even if I am interested by this idea. I think it is a good way to promote our chaotic work, to test everyone's skills and improve em too by comparing all the maps together...
just waiting for your decision :)
Be excessive.
jb

Post by jb »

Hammer is still here. And may add his to cents worth to this thread. And yea it could be a fun thing to do!!
Jb
Tim
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Tim »

Jb, we need to talk to settle things like gametype and the prizes (mabye only first, mabye 1st, 2nd AND 3rd place). See ya on MSN!
jb

Post by jb »

We can not support any prizes.

How about maps for Hyper CTF? That way you dont need to put a lot of thought into weapon placement? Remember to use the manta's in your map as our mut will swap them out with the hyper board. This way they will work for normal vCTF too. Just an idea?

Size I would leave open.

Judes I have no idea. Mass? Flag? I am not a good judge.
Jb
Tim
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Tim »

jb wrote:We can not support any prizes.
But we can.
All your prize are belong to us. :P

-Tim
GB

Post by GB »

heh, i didnt mean anything as so grand as a prize other than the glory of coming first and whipping our asses.. :)

Gamtypes - i dont know, i was intending something really small. 2 weeks is a short time, and i dont see the need to make the timelimit any larger - its supposed to be spontaneous and fun, and if someone enters a map that took 6 months and is full of awesome custom work etc, it really wont be as fun for the rest of us trying to compete.

Therefore, id suggest a size of 3600 x 3600 x 3600. thats the size of the DM map "training day", and is do-able in a fortnight.

so, as a guideline, id suggest rules in the region of:

1) all maps must be no larger than 3600 x 3600 x 3600

2) all maps must be in line with the theme, be it word floorplan or whatever - however, the theme can be interpreted in a number of ways!

3) all maps must be of the same type. (theres not enough of us to make multiple map entries worthwhile)

4) Maps would be judged on Gameplay, Visuals, Flow, weapon placement/balance and originality, all with equal weighting.

Hyper ctf would be cool, but perhaps we should start easy and work on chaos DM since everyone knows the dynamics of it, and it doesnt require a lot of extra work in the editor (not that hyper CTF does, but thats an aside). Personally, i havent played hyperCTF so i dont have a clue what makes a great level for it...

Also, at the size ive stated, it would be too small for CTF really...

Those are just some ideas based on what i had intended... i dont know what everyone else will think about them...

Oh, and i was toying with the idea of the theme to simply be "chaotic" - i.e the map floorplan or islands whatever would have to spell that. In the same way trainingday is an 8 and ctf-joust is an I if you get me...

we also need some folks to judge, who wont enter. I will volunteer if we are short....
jeditobe1
Inactive Chaos Team Member

Post by jeditobe1 »

Jb should remake KOTH-FIAB into vCTF-Aquarium

... but....
Mcfly! Hoverboards dont work on water...
I make Darth Vader look like a teenage punk with a lightsaber.
L'architecte

Post by L'architecte »

Still waiting for any date to be decided...
And who will be the competitors
Be excessive.
Tim
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Tim »

JB!!! Are you sleeping? You're supposed to decide on the judges so that we can begin :evil:
GB

Post by GB »

do you have a list of who's entering? judges are no good if no one enters.
MassChAoS

Post by MassChAoS »

Since the enteree's number in one, I say drop the idea.