Unreal chaos ut map question,,,

Discussions about Chaos mapping for the UT series.
amongoeth

Unreal chaos ut map question,,,

Post by amongoeth »

Is there anyway to get a UT map to work on ut2003 or ut2004?

I notice that the suffix for UT maps is a .UNR and UT2003 and UT2004 maps must be different. Is there any converters out there that would convert UT maps or is there any other way to get the UT maps to work on ut2003 or ut2004?

When i tried to open it with a ut2004 editor,i get this message:
Build UT2004_Build_[2005-11-23_16.22]

CPU: AuthenticAMD PentiumPro-class processor @ 2000 MHz with 1023MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT (9371)

Bad expr token 3d

History: SerializeExpr <- (3D) <- SerializeExpr <- (84) <- SerializeExpr <- (C4) <- SerializeExpr <- (40) <- SerializeExpr <- (79) <- SerializeExpr <- (7A) <- SerializeExpr <- (07) <- UStruct::Serialize <- (Class myLevel.Spotlight11) <- UState::Serialize <- UClass::Serialize <- (Class myLevel.Spotlight11) <- LoadObject <- (Class myLevel.Spotlight11 338419==338419/7424573 338379 86) <- ULinkerLoad::Preload <- PreLoadObjects <- UObject::EndLoad <- UObject::LoadPackage <- UEditorEngine::Exec_Map <- UEditorEngine::Exec <- (MAP LOAD FILE="C:\UT2004\Maps\DM-Q2DM8.unr") <- UUnrealEdEngine::Exec <- FileOpen <- WEditorFrame::OnCommand <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- MessagePump <- MainLoop

Also,is it impossible to get a ut2004 map to run on UT?

thanks
jb

Post by jb »

As I stated in the other thread that are probably doing to be dependences that you UT2k4 maps have that just do not exist in UT2k3. So you going to have to get them into you UT2k3 some how (copy them perhaps) and use a trail an error approach until your map works. I do not know of any converters but check on Google or some other search engine as I am sure some one else has wanted to do this before!
Jb
Hammerman

Post by Hammerman »

You can get UT maps to work in UT2004 but it takes a bit of work.

Start in UT editor and delete everything that won't work in ut2004 (weapons, ammo, health, mesh decorations) but leave in the bot paths, player starts and lights.

Select all brushes and transform> transform permenantly or else their rotation will be all messed up in ut2004.

If you want to just drag the texture packages from ut to ut2004 you can (in most cases) but people will like you more if you embed the textures in the map's MyLevel package.
This takes a while so get comfortable.
Export all used textures to .pcx and re-import them all back into MyLevel. Choose a texture, select all matching texture and hit the Q on your keyboard. This will cull that texture and replace it with the default bubble texture. Now apply the MyLevel version of that texture and repeat the process until all textures are the MyLevel versions.

Now you can select everything in the map (BSP, lights, paths.....) and copy/paste it to UT2004 editor. If the map has small rooms and tight halls you will want to scale the map up by 1.25 or 1.5 in the Tools>Scale Map.
You will probably need to adjust the brightness and radius on all the lights.
You will need to make new movers, if there are any, and add in your weapons, ammo, health, etc. and frag away!

Converting maps isn't difficult but it can be time consuming. I made a quicky convert of DM-Zeto for a ut2004 clan I play in. It's not real pretty but it gets alot of play just for the sentimental value 8)

Same technique for converting ut2004 to ut I guess, just remove what the other can't use.
Good luck
---Hamm---
"If you build it.....they will come."---Field of Dreams