My choices for CTF user maps so far;

Discussions about Chaos mapping for the UT series.
jeditobe1
Inactive Chaos Team Member

Post by jeditobe1 »

Found any other gems since your last post?

Anyways, i would put in a word for DeepSprinta, layout is sort of intuitive (maybe could have used a few more color-markers for bases) and i like being able to steal the Mortal Kombat fight music for the .ogg player they put in last patch :)
I make Darth Vader look like a teenage punk with a lightsaber.
FurrySound

Post by FurrySound »

Um... EVERYTHING works better in Chaos :D

FurrySound{Moo}
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Actually, I've not looked for more recently, and so I've got no more suggestions for you at the moment.

But...., I've decided to find one good map before the day is out. Wish me luck. Gonna cruise forums, scan the server browser, maybe random d/l's.

Just one good map, I've not yet played, by end of day.

And yeah, jeditobe1, DeepSprinta is not bad. I just think the original, Orbital, is better.

There's one called Sulphur that I liked, but it has 2 fatal flaws. Bummer too, as it had such potential, with layout and stuff. But.... it has a totally unacceptable bot glitch, can't play it offline at all. And it has horrible framerates in some areas. I mean, I know I have a slow machine, but it's just toooo darn slow in parts.

McSwartzly_Classic really, and truly blows chunks. No offence to the author, it's a classic map, but this version just does not live up to the name. This was the port though I guess, and he's making a new 'from-scratch' version, rescaled for UT2. Most maps I would not give a "2nd-try" download to, but this one I will, just because of it's history.

Deus likes Raw. But I'm not overly thrilled with it.

Heard some good things about one called Diffidence, so I'm trying that next.
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Geez.

What is so hard about bot pathing for this game?

Diffidence could be a good map, but like Unearthed, even the best custom maps for this game, seem to have bot glitches which take alot of the fun out of offline play. (this one has stuck bots, bots running in circles, etc)

Do mappers no longer care about offline?

Am I the only one noticing the distinct lack of quality bot play in many custom maps?

Diffidence may not be good for Chaos anyway, even online. Outdoor areas not at all suited for getting up high with the grapple.

Next! :(
jeditobe1

Post by jeditobe1 »

Ive seen some bot problems on even the maps that came with UT2k3

In CTF-Face3 bots get stuck at some of the base entrances... oh well frags++

Anyways there was a bot-tutorial post over at http://www.planetunreal.com
jeditobe1

Post by jeditobe1 »

I know its not CTF, but anyone try out DM-Cleopatra?

very fast with decent bots. Also very verticle design so would be good for grappling hook.
Corvus|CL

Post by Corvus|CL »

New Map, CTF-Skorbut... Could be a killer for low end systems but is a perfect grapple map and looks jaw-dropping... ;)

http://www.ut2003hq.com/pafiledb/pafile ... le&id=1818
The European UT2004 and ChaosUT2 Clan
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Downloading now Deus.

As for you, Mr. 'Bring in a DM map to a CTF map thread' Jeditobe1, that's 2 demerits. But I'm still checking out the map. :lol:
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Skorbut works for me! Nice map.

I've only had 2 botmatches in it so far, but they were good ones.

On lowest details, I think I can run it well enough to play. Let's see if we can get Furry and Wicad to load this one.

Good call Deus.
FurrySound

Post by FurrySound »

Done

FurrySound{Moo}
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Well, Skorbut.

This map takes forever to load, and I was Ok with that. Figured I could use that time to light a cig or something anyway.

But, what's happening on the server, is that I lose my connection every time I am waiting for it to load. 1st time it happened, I thought it was just me, but it's been a few times now, and only that map.

Bummer. I cannot get on the server, if that map is sitting there. As it is now. :cry:
jeditobe1

Post by jeditobe1 »

I had a huge loadtime as well... for some reason ctrl + alt + delete would make it magically finish loading and run the level. Didnt even get the task manager either... 8O