Melee weapon idea for deathmatch/onslaught

All about Chaos for Unreal... (UT3, UT2004, UT2003, UT)
Sephian

Melee weapon idea for deathmatch/onslaught

Post by Sephian »

You guys are probably wondering how a melee weapon will be any good against ranged weapons. well, If someone made a lightsaber just for Chaos people could deflect some incoming enemy fire while charging toward thier opponent, I mean they already have the melee stances programmed...they could use one of the sword stances for the character holding the lightsaber, only problem I think they'd have is making the animations for the character to move to deflect the incoming enemy fire. it would be unfair if the character deflected everything with it, so I think it whould be made so that It can't deflect rockets/explosions, and it definately wouldn't deflect fire from the MUG and things like that, but i'm mostly refering to deflecting energy things (e.g. link gun primary fire, shock rifle beams and shock balls, but not shock combos, lightning gun hits). Also, would not be used in duel because that'd be unfair being that one hit and the other person would be sliced in half by it, and killed in one hit. It would replace or overlap shield gun tab.

It just a weapon idea, I know the staff is busy with things as it so I understand if they never get around to it. I also have a bunch of other Ideas like a few more weapons (hand to hand melee weapons, some gun ideas, a catapult idea, and a bunch of others) but the lightsaber is the one I wish someone would make the most, it's my main idea.
TKATK
the magical link fairy

Post by TKATK »

hmm,i remember using something completely the same as you described somewhere,ooh yeeaah,the right people to rip off :roll:

U4E for UT has a auto deflecting overpowered lightsabre

i think it would be better if melle weps could absorb some attacks or deflect others when blocked,maybe the block could be holdable,but at that time you move very slow
gamer119

Post by gamer119 »

Any form of a ligthsaber comes too close to copyright infringement for our taste. However, your ideas on deflections are good ones.
Sephian

hmm...ok, not lightsaber, but something similar then i guess

Post by Sephian »

I can see the copyright thing being an issue now that I think about it. Although I don't exactly see where it would be Unbalance too much *shrugs* was pretty much just an idea. Maybe instead a "deflector sword" or "shield blade" and instead of the lazer graphic of a lightsaber it's like a long shield piece, similar to the shield gun alternate fire in appearance/texture, only more sword-ish...kinda like a pointy triangle shape rather than a beam shape, and would be kinda like the lightsaber idea i posted, only if you can find a way to make it more balanced (I don't want it too powerful or too weak) do so as you see fit, should any of you decide to make it. =) and thanks for the comment gamer119
Zachariah
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Zachariah »

one phrase answers this very well

"Dont bring a knife to a gunfight and expect to win"

-someone from forums way back when
TKATK
the magical link fairy

Post by TKATK »

thats actually from irc when

1.I was talking how unbalanced melle is compared to SG
2.Someone else was talking how unballanced melle is compared to ranged weps
Kaadu

Post by Kaadu »

Maybe... But if I brought a Chaos sword to a gun fight, I expect to at least have a chance... The shield gun is a better melee weapon at the moment.
jb

Post by jb »

The melee weapons could deflect some things. However the code was "removed" in the last moments prior to the release. The main reason is it was not really working correctly. Actually this defelction code was added in on the very first version of melee back in the ut2k3 days and just forgotten about :) I also think there some things we can do to make the melee's more balanced. They were mainly used in Duel at first where it was melee on melee so we balanced them based on that. Now that you can use them in other games we need to work on that. And with your folkes feedback we can get their...
Jb
Sephian

just want balance, that's all

Post by Sephian »

I remember when I first bought the game I knew the chaos team would make thier mod/mutator for it, that's half the reason I bought Unreal 2004. About bringing a knife into a gun fight, sure that is true in real life but the game was never intended to be that realistic, hence the name "Unreal", it's not like someone can take a bullet from a minigun and still be alive like you can in Unreal. The "unrealism" is the other half of the reason I bought it, I don't like FPS games where you die in one or two hits from every kind of gun/weapon. Some people play the game to get away from the laws of reality.

I remember when I first started playing I found myself slightly dissapointed at how I was unable to use the shield gun too effectively, being that close range has always been my thing, which is why flak cannon quickly became my favorite weapon, although shield gun would have if it were more effective. I just wish there was close range/melee balance, that is all I really am after.

This is the last time I'll be posting on this subject (because I have a new idea for an ammo recycling and ammo gathering gun I'm going to post about, and no it's not melee lol, I still think long range is fun and needed and good to use strategically even though I usually prefer short range), and thank you for taking into consideration melee balance...I see that you'll probably balance it in the next patch/download pack or whatnot or fix it.[/i]
Shadowstar
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Shadowstar »

bah, melee weapons aren't for unskilled hands. You can use them to great effect in DM if you are skilled enough with them and use your brain more than the typical DM gamer.

I've seen it happen. People have gotten damn high scores using the melees when everyone else has guns. Of course it doesnt work on every map. You need lots of tight spaces, and you need to know how to dodge like a crazy chicken, but it can work.

I'm sure Pepito must remember one or two times when I owned him with my Bastard Sword in testing. I even took Kyllian on once with a sword against his rocket launcher. I dodged about 6 or 7 rockets at short range and almost killed him before he managed to hit me. If you learn the moves and the stances, you can get an quick kill a majority of the time by simply paying attention to your opponent and using the correct stance and moves.

All in all, it's fun to use them in DM when you have the skills. It's a challenge and that makes it worth trying. I think they are fine now. Just dodge like a crazy chicken and you'll have a chance.
Zachariah
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Zachariah »

Shadowstar wrote: I'm sure Pepito must remember one or two times when I owned him with my Bastard Sword in testing.
:cry: its true :cry:
DarK_AssassiN

Post by DarK_AssassiN »

This is ChaosUT not Star Wars (Star Wars sucks).
We should have a crowbar. Oh never mind that might break Half-Life copyright laws. J/K

I think there should be a sword like the MUG.
Fire= A sword with flames surrounding the blade
Ice= The blade would have ice shards all around it. Maybe have secondary fire make the swords ice shards break on impact causing more damage and a little damage to whatever the ice shards hit.

I will have more ideas later.
vernies_garden

Post by vernies_garden »

DarK_AssassiN wrote: Ice= The blade would have ice shards all around it. Maybe have secondary fire make the swords ice shards break on impact causing more damage and a little damage to whatever the ice shards hit.
i would do this like the CUTTER alt fire when the break apart, it would be neat to see melee with alt attacks like that
"...and I know we all can't stay here forever, so I'll write my words on the face of today. And then they'll paint it..." ~ Shannon Hoon (Blind Melon)
DarK_AssassiN

Post by DarK_AssassiN »

Yeah, like the C.U.T.T.E.R. :)

I was also thinking of something like a claw thing that wraps around your hand. Like the Skarjj models have. It would be cool to be able to use those. :wink: