Screenshots for my map

Discussions about Chaos mapping for the UT series.
Mick

Screenshots for my map

Post by Mick »

I've made a map! However There's one last step I haven't managed to get working: the screenshot. I've been following the instructions I found on http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/Screenshot and originaly couldn't get the material sequence to go in the levelproperties: levelsummary: screenshot. However I've just (5 minutes ago) fixed that by compressing the textures to DXT1.
So I've got my material sequence, it shows my screenshots fading from one to the other, it's saved in MyLevel, it's set as my screenshot, but still doesn't show up :roll:
Any help/ideas would be much apreciated.
Reality is that part of imagination we all agree on.
jb

Re: Screenshots for my map

Post by jb »

Mick wrote:I've made a map! However There's one last step I haven't managed to get working: the screenshot. I've been following the instructions I found on http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/Screenshot and originaly couldn't get the material sequence to go in the levelproperties: levelsummary: screenshot. However I've just (5 minutes ago) fixed that by compressing the textures to DXT1.
So I've got my material sequence, it shows my screenshots fading from one to the other, it's saved in MyLevel, it's set as my screenshot, but still doesn't show up :roll:
Any help/ideas would be much apreciated.
Whats the log file say? Usally it will have the indicated error messages..
Jb
Mick

Post by Mick »

OK, I think I've traked down the error:
Warning: Failed to load 'NULL': Can't resolve package name
Warning: Failed to load 'Material None.DM-Figure': Can't resolve package name
After looking some more on unreal wiki, I think this means (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm completely new to mapping and it's been a steep learning curve) that the material sequence can't be loaded, and that's because it can't find the pakage (which I set to MyLevel).
Oh yeah, DM-Figure of eight is my maps name by the way.

so, now what do I do now?
MassChAoS

Post by MassChAoS »

It looks like you need to set the screenshot property to the material sequence.
Mick

Post by Mick »

But, it is set :(
jb

Post by jb »

see if your map has a ucl file name in the system dir. If so remove it and see if it works then. I have seen this happen before where the ucl file is created with out level preview in it. Then when its added you still dont see it till you get ride of the current mapname.ucl file in your system dir (a new one will be created).
Jb
GB

Post by GB »

sometimes if you have playtested a map before adding a screenshot, it wont update the map for some reason in ut. try taking the map out of the /maps folder, playing chaos without it and then re-adding it ad playing it again to see if it has refreshed.

Another option is to find the map file ( its an INT file with your map name) in the /system folder and delete it.
Then when you reload the map in the editor and save it, it will recreate a new file for your map. (id backup this file first into a different folder just in case tho.) that should refresh the map settings and display any updated discription, screenshot etc.
"All i know is my gut says maybe"
Mick

Post by Mick »

It's working! :D I had to remove the UT2 and UCL files, then resave the map with a slightly different file name, and now it works.
Thanks for the help.
I'll move on to something a little more ambitious than a figure of 8 map now...
jb

Post by jb »

yea :)
Jb
Mick

Post by Mick »

Well, if anyone wants to try my first map, you can get it from http://www.unrealplayground.com/download.php?mapid=8804
I'll post a few screenshots later.
The_0men

Post by The_0men »

Screenies first,download later :) .

~ The 0men ~
MassChAoS

Post by MassChAoS »

Based on the screenies, I'd say you need to redo the lighting. The other thing is choose a theme, the second screenshot you posted shows like 8 different textures on the walls and ceilings... you should only need one texture for the wall and one for the ceiling, especially with such a small map. And if this is a UT2k4 map, you should give it more curves.

Hopefully you take this as constructive critism.
Mick

Post by Mick »

Bring on the criticism, any helpful advice is apreciated. :)