Model goes crazy with Melee weapons

If you're having a problem with any of the UT versions of Chaos, post here for help.
DD_133

Model goes crazy with Melee weapons

Post by DD_133 »

Just got back into chaosut2, and the model(s) i'm talking about are the glumpf and karaash ones from the community bonus pack skins. I've tried other models and they don't see to behave as oddly. For instance, if you stand still, it looksl ike the models are kneeling in midair, and alot of the anims, including the way they use and hold the weapons are a bit strange. Im using the latest chaosut2 PR. Wondered if any of the devs know about this. :D
Ohhhh shi-
General_Sun

Post by General_Sun »

Only models with default bones work correctly with melee. If those models have some customized bone structure it won't look correct. :wink:
High Council member of The Generals
DD_133

Post by DD_133 »

General_Sun wrote:Only models with default bones work correctly with melee. If those models have some customized bone structure it won't look correct. :wink:
Yeah I think they do actually. I was looking around the chaosut2/animations folder, and found some files with melee in the name, like ChaosMeleeAnimations.ukx. Are these the ones that one would have to modify to get the models to work correctly? >_>
Ohhhh shi-
LoQtUS

Post by LoQtUS »

Yes. That is the File that you would have to modify. Good luck.
The Dark Side of Chaos.
DD_133

Post by DD_133 »

Heh, I looked at the chaosut animations and compared them with the other animations in maya. This seems to be harder than I thought. Oh well, at least the models work at any rate, thanks for the help guys.
Ohhhh shi-
LoQtUS

Post by LoQtUS »

That i know of the work that you are attempting can not be done with maya easily. I have a very limited knowledge of Maya so i could be totaly wrong.

I used 3DSMax to do the animations, and i got the Default Character Studio Rig that Epic used and animated them. One thing that you will find is that if the model does not fit the exact structure that you are animating your Character will distort. For instance we could not use the same animation for both the male and female characters. What would happen was that the female characters would stretch and distort, so to correct this problem I had to create a second set of all animations that used the smaller female frame. You can also see this effect with a female model in the driving position during vehicle games. The female models bone structure will stretch to fit the positions of the male animation giving the female smaller model a stickly appearence.

To correct this problem with any model you would have to recreate all of the animations for all of the weapons. The really big down fall of it is that it will force all models to use your new animation set hence fixing the custom model that you want, but effectivly breaking the standard models.

Either way i think it is a loosing situation.
The Dark Side of Chaos.
DD_133

Post by DD_133 »

LoQtUS wrote:To correct this problem with any model you would have to recreate all of the animations for all of the weapons. The really big down fall of it is that it will force all models to use your new animation set hence fixing the custom model that you want, but effectivly breaking the standard models.
This is what I thought as well. The only other solution I can think of is to use a new bone struction for this model, but I think that would cause serious problems.

On the bright side, there's always other models I can use. :p
Ohhhh shi-
LoQtUS

Post by LoQtUS »

Is this a model that you are making or is it a model that you have gotten off of the web?

If it is one that you are creating just be sure to follow the basic human biped structure and it should work pretty well. There may be some glitches but that is the price for the custom Skelli.

If it is one from the web You could attempt to contact the maker and ask them to do a little work on it.
The Dark Side of Chaos.