cant play

If you're having a problem with any of the UT versions of Chaos, post here for help.
rocknroll

cant play

Post by rocknroll »

i got chaosUT2 installed and when im going to play eny game , on internet or botmatch its like if i was freezed.I can see the other players playing , but i cant move i cant do enything , i cant even get out i need to do the ctrl+alt+del to get out of game. does enyone know how to solve this :?: :(
rocknroll

Post by rocknroll »

hey guys dont mind spending time whit me just found that my keybinds were deleted (C:\UT2004\System\User)
still very strange
jb

Post by jb »

Yikes, sorry to hear about your key binds but all is well now correct?
Jb
jeditobe1
Inactive Chaos Team Member

Post by jeditobe1 »

I dont suppose you used the zip file, and then pulled the stuff out of the ChaosUT folder and put it in with the normal UT2004 files? If so, this is probably what is causing the problem.

In the zip there is a folder called System and a folder called ChaosUT2. Inside the ChaosUT2 folder there is a similar setup to the C:\UT2004\ folder. If you manually pulled the files out of those folders and put it into the corresponding UT2004 folders, including the system folder, it would most likely overwrite the defaults, causing weird behavior if it even loads.

If this is NOT what you did, then ignore me.

If this IS what you did, do the following:

To get normal UT2004 working again, if it isnt working, try re-applying the most recent patch. Then before starting the game delete (make a backup if you choose) the C:\UT2004\System\UT2004.ini and C:\UT2004\System\user.ini. Then start the game normally and make sure it works. If it doesnt, you might need to reinstall UT2004, as occasionally the installs just bug out for no reason and this might be one of them.

The reason for this is you are trying to get back to the defaults. You will have to set up your binds and settings again, but it will allow you to play. If the defaults arent working, most likely something got messed up in the other files and that generally means a reinstall.

Assuming the above works, these are the next steps:

First backup the ut2004.ini and user.ini files that are in your C:\UT2004\System directory once you have set stuff up the way you like it. This will allow you to quickly get back to where you want to be if something goes wrong in the future (for chaos or any other mod/patch/etc). To quickly get back to these settings, simply paste a copy of the two backup files in the C:\UT2004\System folder and it will revert back to them.

Next, re-download chaos to make sure you have a full install and reinstall (ask the other chaos people for links, mine are old). If you get the zip version, right click the file, go to extract files, point it at C:\UT2004\ and hit ok. dont try to manually extract the files.
I make Darth Vader look like a teenage punk with a lightsaber.
rocknroll

Post by rocknroll »

no , i put the chaosUT2 file in C:\UT2004\ChaosUT2.
and sometimes my keybind ESC dissapears lol and when that happen i just go in game then INPUT and then controls and then i press reset button and all gets to normal again
jb

Post by jb »

So do you have a folder called: ut2004\chaosUT2\chaosUT2 ????

I am sorry to ask this as the files when unzip have the proper dir structure already set up so they get unzip into the UT2004 dir..
Jb
rocknroll

Post by rocknroll »

no its C:\UT2004\ChaosUT2\ not C:\UT2004\ChaosUT2\ChaosUT2
jb

Post by jb »

Ahhh ok good then :)

So is it still working ok for you then?
Jb