How can I make the Crossbow the default weapon?

Discussions about Chaos mapping for the UT series.
-Penfold-

How can I make the Crossbow the default weapon?

Post by -Penfold- »

I'm making a KOTH map based on an old UT99 KOTH map, and I'd like to remove the CPP from being the default, and make it so the Crossbow is the default.

What's the best/easiest way to do this?
MassChAoS

Post by MassChAoS »

I think you can force the map to load a specific mutator, in this case the Chaos Weapons mutator with the crossbow specified as the special weapon. Jb might have better details on that.
jb

Post by jb »

In the ChaosMapInfo actor there are two settings:

var() bool bUseSingleWeapon; // Bool that tells the ChaosUT Mut to use the single weapon
var() class<Weapon> SingleWeaponType;

Setting this bUseSingleWeapon to true and selecting the type of weapon will do what mass is suggesting...and its what I did with KOTH-FIAB. Is that what you wanted to hear?
Jb
-Penfold-

Post by -Penfold- »

I'm guessing that'll do it.

Thanks! (rock)
-Penfold-

Post by -Penfold- »

I put in a ChaosMapInfo actor and tried the tip at the bottom of the thread here but now it's in arena crossbow mode, I was just looking to make it so the crossbow was the default weapon you start with without picking it up, instead of the CPP as being such. I still was hoping for other weapons placed in the map to be usable, and not turned into a crossbow. Is there any way to replace the CPP without forcing the arena mod?
jb

Post by jb »

Not with out some small bit of code. The coding would be a very simple mut that you can add to your map. If you want I maybe able to whip something up for you.

For your KoTH question I will have to look at the bot code as its been so long since I wrote that....
Jb
-Penfold-

Post by -Penfold- »

thanks for the prompt reply. I think I've done something similar before, but it was by adding an an ammo pickup with a negative ammo amount, such that you start the level with the weapon, but instantly lose it's ammo, and thus cannot switch to it. But I can't find a placeable CPP ammo actor (or, actually, any CPP actor so far, but haven't spent too much time looking).

If it would only take a few minutes of your time, code to remove the CPP as default weapon, or simply to remove it's initial ammo would be greatly appreciated. Others might like to make use of such a mini mutator as well (I'm guessing some liked the old UT 1 style of the crossbow default, I can't be the only one). This isn't a jab at the decision to make CPP default, but rather a compliment to the original UT 1 mod. I'm not sure I'd even be making my map, if I had bothered to make a backup copy of my UT 1 map. I'd had it on so many computers (friends and mine) at one point I didn't give it second thought, but slowly said computers were reformatted or sold, and by the time I went looking for the map, it was nowhere to be found.

For others sake, if you'd like to make the code effectively get rid of the CPP and provide the crossbow (or other selectable weapon if it wouldn't take much time) upon startup, that would be ideal.

My spawnpoints currently provide the crossbow, but I'd be glad to remove the crossbow pickups should they become redundant! ;)

Thanks again, and thanks to the Chaos team for providing KOTH. I'm truly disappointed in how many FPS games don't have a KOTH mode, or do, but don't have enough options for it (like FFA instead of just 2 team mode such as "Hamburger Hill" in GR:AW and such). I'm not certain, but it might have actually been the fact that you had KOTH that lead me to find and use your mod in the first place.

Another question: Would it be difficult to somehow make the single fire charged power right click mode of the crossbow be the default instead of the multi arrow mode? I'm guessing it'd take too much coding, so don't bother if so. All I really need is some way to make the CPP ammo zero all things said and done.
-Penfold-

Post by -Penfold- »

FTR, I'd tried putting, the crossbow as the single weapon and then making the use single weapon false on the off chance that the "single weapon" might be the default weapon should use single weapon be false, but that didn't work. (figured it was worth a shot)
jb

Post by jb »

Penfold,

while I am more than happy to do this for you, have you try mut like Switch Arsenal?

http://unrealtournament2004.filefront.c ... l_60;17730

I only wanted to ask as they already have this ability to do this for you.. So let me know if that would work or if you still wanted your one thing for just the xbow.....
Jb
-Penfold-

Post by -Penfold- »

Haven't tried that, but I will, thanks!
jb

Post by jb »

Ok give it a try as it can do that..as well as other things. Again if it still does not work....
Jb
-Penfold-

Post by -Penfold- »

The SA mod gives me an error whenever trying to configure in game. I'm guessing its giving it because it's a 2003 mod.

I tried looking for a 2004 mod, and apparently there's a beta for it, but any links I find to DL it go to the same dead link.

Know of any valid links?
jb

Post by jb »

not really i just googled for those names and found the first one maybe try to see if you can find a better link? Or i can do that mut for you...
Jb
-Penfold-

Post by -Penfold- »

OK, I've managed to find the beta for 2004. I'll test it out in the next few days.
jb

Post by jb »

Ok let us know how it goes!
Jb