Quick and easy question

If you're having a problem with any of the UT versions of Chaos, post here for help.
»SZO«Moo

Quick and easy question

Post by »SZO«Moo »

Quick and easy question.

On a dedicated server do i place all the chaos files from the folders into my main ut2004 folders or do i just transfer the whole chaos folder into
the main ut2004 directory where all the other folders sit via FTP.
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Peace. Please see my reply to Admiral for standard apologies for delay, etc....

Anyway, best I can remember, the answer is - 42.

Ok, seriously, yes, if I remember correctly, you do create a sep CUT2 folder, just as you would offline.

About your other questions... same as my replies to the other guys, this could be an install issue. And/or just some confusing server startup BS. I've had a server in the past, as well as helped admin a couple/few, and it always seems like a pain in the butt to me. But... having said that, Chaos always worked in the end. So... there is an answer.

Well, keep in mind though - as much as we tried (and we really did put much effort into this), Chaos simply cannot be compatible with every other custom game type or mutator or voting tool out there in the wide world of Unreal. Depending on your level of interest, maybe try w/o UT2Vote and/or Freezetag once, see if you get some progress.

Oh, yeah... btw, dude, puh - lease !!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXwg-Jo7Dpg Much like Chaos, nothing tops an original! But, ya know, whatevah, carry on. (rock)

<a href="http://www.mooclan.com/ctf/index.htm" target="_blank">Moo</a> memories always make me smile.
»SZO«Moo

Post by »SZO«Moo »

You had me at 42 because it started to make more since then the chaos ut2k4 dedicated server setup.

I have tried almost all combinations. Placing the chaos folder in the UT2004 directory, placing the chaos floder right inside of the ut2004/system folder and using all types of commands such as using the ServerPackages= , [Core.System] Paths=... , placing the chaos game type into the ./ucc-bin server line up, you name it i tried it, but still can't seem to get the Remote admin to to change duel to an all out battle. I will try a few other mapvotes before i try removing the utvote.

Now the only way i found to run chaos on a dedicated server with other game types in your mapvote is by this way. Placing the chaos folder in the ut2004 directory did not work even with putting the serverpackages= in, it would just crash.
So i opened the chaos folder placed the system files into the ut2004/system placed the chaos/textures into the ut2004/textures folder and so on.

--------------------------------------------------

Now for the mapvote/UTVote setup for "GameType=(GameName="
You can find here http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=144869 Just scroll down till you see the chaos setup.

Once you have done that look for this line in mapvote [UT2Vote58.UT2VoteMutators]

Place this line at the bottom with the others that are in there
Mutator=(FriendlyName="Chaos-UT",HideVote=False,MutClassName="ChaosGames.ChaosUT",Voted=False)

My server is at gameservers. com which is linux
so the startup line is this
./ucc-bin server DM-Antalus?game=XGame.xDeathMatch?Mutator=UT2Vote58.UT2VoteX?MaxPlayers=22 ini=ut2004.ini multihome=68.232.172.146 port=7777 -nohomedir

Whatever version of mapvote you are using just make sure it's in there.

I can config the cutserver.ini from Remote Admin Panel, but in duel only options i have is maps.
===========================================

Back in quake2 days they gave very cleared step by step instructions for any type of server and setup you wanted. Just to bad they didn't take the time to do so for ut2004.

If anyone out there that has a chaos server running with different game types to choose from could you please post a detailed setup not only in ut2004.ini and UTVote.ini , but also how placed your Chaos files in the server via ftp

Now for something completely different http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4QC_qI6oNg

»SZO«Moo aka Airborne{MOO} http://www.szoclan.com/

R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Heh, I'll be damned. The ol' Moo clan continues to permeate Chaos.

Anyway, it's just been too darned long for me, none of this is ringing a bell. I'll do a bit of forum searching for you, see if I can 'member something. Dorian could probably help, he's had one running as recently as December - http://forums.chaoticdreams.org/viewtopic.php?t=6416

Might also try to reach him via our IRC, or his xfire nic.

Edit: - just in case... remember to add the Chaos mut to your Chaos game types, in order to get all the various settings available in mapvote.
»SZO«Moo

Post by »SZO«Moo »

Well once a week on thusdays i decided to have a chaos night on the server. By switching out the UTVote58 from the ucc bin server seemed to have worked and i was able to configure Duel. Now the only thing is that i couldn't use grapple or kick option, but i think you may have something with the UTVote. Now the only one i could get my hands on was UTVote 16. If anyone knows of a working link for a UTVote44 i would like to give that a shot. With the setup i have with UTVote58 the Chaos DM works great just that damn Duel.

Now the only thing is is that the new versions of antiTCC only support UTVote58 and 59, but i don't mind going to 119 for one night a week.

If you find anything, ya let me know and i'll keep looking.
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Well, this sounds like progress.

As far as AntiTCC... are you really getting a lot of cheating? While I admit we didn't have millions of online Chaos players during the UT2004 days, we did have some, and I don't think I ever saw cheating. Not like back in the Q2Chaos days, where cheating was obvious among certain players.

Anyway, my point is that one of hte things I do still remember, is that we had compatibility issues with AntiTCC. Here's just one random thread you can search for here and find -
http://forums.chaoticdreams.org/viewtop ... itcc#59485

there are more. My suggestion has always remained the same. Ditch AnitTCC and move on with your simplified life.
»SZO«Moo

Post by »SZO«Moo »

Thing is once a cheater as been caught and banned from a server they usually take it off so they dont' get banned from another server for it. And i had my share of cheaters on the server. Anti TCC with the new versions like r6 are very good and wormbo likes to keep up on the cheats and bots
and ever since the R3 came out last year it will even detect if you go in with rend collision on. As for the announcers getting detected on it from that post link, If you shut the game down after playing chaos, it will turn the announcer off and you'll beable to join a server just fine without anti tcc problems.

Most people think they have to get rid of the file so they turn the game off and get rid of it and works fine then, then say screw chaos servers. Not the case. Just close the game down and go back on and it's all fine.

When i ran the duel chaos without the mapvote it all worked fine, except the hook and kick options, but at least i was able to use the remote admin to set the rules and also 4 on 4 or last man standing, i had to change maps from the remote though. Anti TCC runs as a ServerActors= so even without the UTVote it runs so i'm still thinking it's the newer UTVote.

Just need to get my hands on a 43 or just a little higher so can test it.

So your first reply with 42 is alot closer then you thought....lol
»SZO«Moo

Post by »SZO«Moo »

Ok i found where i could change it without removing the mapvote out of the server ucc bin line. So in Duel i wanted the last man standing and not the default 1on1 so i changed the "DuelMode" to 3 for last man standing and 2 would be 4on4 the below line is found in the servers ut2004.ini.

[ChaosGames.ChaosDuel]
RoundTimeLimit=120
WeaponOption=0
ServerDebug=False
DuelMode=3
RemoveMeleePickups=True
bInstiGibMelee=False
NetWait=5
bForceRespawn=False
bAdjustSkill=False
bAllowTaunts=True
bAllowTrans=False
SpawnProtectionTime=2.000000
LateEntryLives=1
LoginMenuClass=ChaosGames.ChaosGUI_DuelMidgameMenu
bAllowPrivateChat=True
bWeaponStay=True
bAllowWeaponThrowing=False
ResetTimeDelay=0
GoalScore=10
MaxLives=0
TimeLimit=60

----------------------------------------------

R.Flagg, is there anyway you can make duel for 22 players lets say at one time ? Right now it only allows 8 people.

And don't go to far i may have more question so any summer trips i think you should cancel :lol:
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Ah, yes.

http://forums.chaoticdreams.org/viewtop ... mode#39494

It's been too long for me, I forget these things. And just in case anyone else reading this gets confused, we did have this covered - in the standard remote web admin;

http://chaotic.beyondunreal.com/docs/im ... ut2004.jpg

As you can see the round format option is right there. But having said that, I don't disagree that a more detailed readme concerning the DuelMode ini option would also have been nice.

About the 8 player limit. We did that because we couldn't imagine folks actually wanting to spend all of their evenings sitting around 'in line', just waiting and waiting, watching other folks playing.

I have seen some folks mention that issue when discussing Epic's Duel game type (just another one of many, many features Epic decided to implement after Chaos led the way :wink: )

Seeing as we don't have an active lead coder (and haven't since Jb left) it's highly unlikely that feature will ever change (even if we wanted it to).

And to further chat about the topic, I didn't even support adding the #3 and #4 DuelMode's. I mean, come on, it's called "Duel" fer cryin' out loud. Ya know, 'two men enter, one man leaves', and all that jazz. But... I was outvoted. As the manual says, we added it at the request of fans.

Anyway, it's neat that you stuck with it enough to solve your issue. That's a high compliment to the mod. Hope you guys are having fun.
»SZO«Moo

Post by »SZO«Moo »

Oh even in the Gladiator days they had duels with multiple men in the arena even threw in a tiger sometimes. Just that i'm getting nagged to if i can increase the player slots. So do you think there would be no problem if the code was changed to up the player slot ?. I understand about the 1on1 and the people waiting , but i found even with 8 players people don't stick around to wait and with the last man standing they seem to really like it.
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

Oy vey... Default reply; We have always asked that you do not alter our mod.

Two things ( to be a smart ass - 'cause I am, ya know )
a) I haven't seen 8 players on your server yet
b) If'n you are interested in coding Chaos, why not 'sign up'

But then again..., it's been nearly 3 years since we released 3.76. IIRC, Spa's policy way back when was to wait 5 years before releasing ChaosDM source (ya, ya, I know UT works differently, and downloading the mod means you have the 'source').

So anyway... I guess, if you really felt it was worth the time. But at least please do it right. Make it clear that it's not the 'official' Chaos version on your server, so folks with issues don't come here asking for tech help with something you did. I already feel like 'wtf is wrong with me, years later and I'm still replying to help for a game fer crying out loud... I should get a life'. Etc. Etc. Much more typing could go here. but ya know... I'm just trying to be friendly/helpful, don' t really wanna spend all day on this...

Just ya know, whatever. Enjoy yourselves, do what you must. Have fun. But please continue (just as you have so far) to respect those guys who spent years workin' hard on the mod.
»SZO«Moo

Post by »SZO«Moo »

Default game on the server is Freezetag which gets alot of traffic at night so that is why we dedicated Thursday eve to chaos only, duel fills up quick on that night. Anyways i'm not the coder in the clan, but we do have one if i can ever get catch him when he's not busy. I understand your concern, but 99% of the people would know what to do when they get a server message of a mismatch file. If it's to much of a pain for our coder i'll just tell him for get it, but he knows to leave all credits alone and when i do talk to him first thing he's going to ask if i have asked to modify it.

Just would like to make it so more people could enjoy it without waiting for an empty slot. most of our guest only play a few hours at night and if we do play it during other nights i try and make it when not to many people are on so they don't have to wait.

If i could code, i would sign up in a flash and thats the first thing i would change in the 3.80 release.
Hammerman

Post by Hammerman »

Heya Moo, have you tried the ChaosDM gametype with the "Melee Only" weapon option? That's my favorite way to play melee. You can have your full player limit, no waiting to play and you can pick up dropped weapons and cycle through them just like in regular DM.

Also: I played on your server without loading my Chaos game and it worked fine (minus a few binds), but when I loaded Chaos first and joined your AntiTCC kicked me for unknown class "ChaosGames.ChaosConsole". Are you running an older version or am I doing something silly on my end? Been so long I'm a bit rusty.

I have a pretty popular Freon/AM/TAM server too. Stop in and play with us sometime. [MXC] MAXIMUM CARNAGE!!! http://maximumcarnage.aowc.net/Default.asp?

Oh hey there Mark 8) Hope all is well.
"If you build it.....they will come."---Field of Dreams
»SZO«Moo

Post by »SZO«Moo »

Hey. Ya you would've been kicked because the default game runs under the normal UT GUI controler and not the chaos. Chaos is setup as Mut on the server so we are not pushing unessary files to people who don't want to play chaos. Only when they join that game type it will be pushed.

We kinda like the last man standing where you can't respawn back in till the 2nd last man is killed. The player slot is being redone and the .u file will be renamed so it doesn't have any conflict with the normal chaos mod. So what will happen is that the server will only have the one new .u file and you will end up with an extra new one along with the one you got from chaos, so when you go to another chaos server it will only read your old one.

I did see you on the freeze tag server, but between 6 and 9 pm pst thats when people start coming in. But like i said we do have 2 servers and the 2nd sniper server also has chaos on it for anyone who wants to play it between them times. Anyways glad you came around.