laser mines what you do you think of them?

All about Chaos for Unreal... (UT3, UT2004, UT2003, UT)
bitterman

laser mines what you do you think of them?

Post by bitterman »

personally i love them, great idea to add them someone not paying attention and boom! :twisted: so what do you guys think of them
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

I missed them dearly in CUT. They were always a favorite toy of mine in Q2Chaos, and it was too bad they never made it into our UT version.

And what's even better, is that not only do they look better now, but they are much more balanced than the Q2 version. Back then, it didn't matter how far away you were from the 'base' of the mine, it was always pretty much instant kill. Now we have it so that the farther away you are, the less likely your gonna die from the thing.

So of course I'm biased to like them, but at least compared to the Q2 version, I will say they are "Mo' betta! (up)"
[SSB]Major_Wilson

Post by [SSB]Major_Wilson »

The spider mine things were class i have to say never laughed so much in all my life when i had a mega kill by just standing there watching peeps setting them off.

the proxy mines dont seem to fire very far though (this may be intended) but overall i like all the mines, good work guys
Shadowstar
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Shadowstar »

I like the firemines, but I'm anxious to see how the forthcoming laser trip mines will work. Those sound cool. You could just put one somewhere and let people slice themselves in half on it... Course they should expire after about 2-3 minutes and be shootable, of course. But from what I've heard, the details have already been worked out.
bitterman

Post by bitterman »

to bad you couldn't make it so the laser is made harder to see
JeT

Post by JeT »

Couldn't? Well, we could have, but I like how the laser looks all laser-ish now. Plus, it's funny when you're falling and you KNOW you're gonna hit a laser, but it's already too late. :twisted:
Retired CUT2 Coder
bitterman

Post by bitterman »

do they dissapear after like 30sec or is it only when you die, also are you supose to be able to trip your own mines cause there are times i do and others where i walk right through them and they don't go off
jeditobe1
Inactive Chaos Team Member

Post by jeditobe1 »

Everyone is supposed to be able to trip everyones mines.

They will disappear after a while yes (well they will auto detonate).
I make Darth Vader look like a teenage punk with a lightsaber.
bigbadwolf

hehehe...cool..

Post by bigbadwolf »

yeah i think the lasers are cool.. but the bots dont really use them. still they are cool. its like you can set them up and act like your a jewel thefe. carwling and jumping over them. 8)
jb

Re: hehehe...cool..

Post by jb »

bigbadwolf wrote:yeah i think the lasers are cool.. but the bots dont really use them. still they are cool. its like you can set them up and act like your a jewel thefe. carwling and jumping over them. 8)
Yea thats my fault for not teaching the bots. I just finally had enough time at the deadline to make the bots change firing modes of the xbow. I wanted to go on to teach them how to select differnt ammo...but did not have enough time...had to get something to the public.
Jb
Shadowstar
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Shadowstar »

When the cutting laser mines get implemented, they will probably need different looking beams. Maybe those can be harder to see... Hmm, probably solid beams (so they don't "shimmer" like the firemines), and maybe thinner. Then again, if we base them on the originals from Q2Chaos, those were pretty fat beams...

And it seems to me that the firemines should set players on fire like the napalm does, that is if they survive...
thegreywolfe

Post by thegreywolfe »

I love em, only thing is I've noticed the bots allmost never set them off. I've also seen that the bots never set them, of course that would be rather difficult to code so they would do it intelligently.
If you're not having fun, it's because I shot you in the head.
Shadowstar
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Shadowstar »

The bots will set off the fire mines, in fact they do so rather stupidly. The thing is one mine isn't enough to kill them usually. Try setting up traps with multiple mines. Sometimes it helps to "lure" the bot into the trap by hiding around a corner on the other side of the mines. Let them see you, but duck away to avoid thier fire, and they'll come after you to fish you out of that corner and trip on the mines.

One thing I like to do is set up a mine trap on the doors in a room with a high cieling, then grapple up to the cieling and swing around, shooting arrows out of the room. The bots get ticked off and come after you, but since you're swinging around on the grapple, they can't hit you, so they bumble along into the room and BOOM!

Just be sure not to set off your own mines.

Another thing that's cool is to set off other people's mines when there are bots near them or when they're placing them. When someone's plopping mines down, shoot the mines. If they've got a bunch placed close enough to each other, it will start a chain reaction and may hurt them quite a bit...
Zachariah
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Zachariah »

Heh another good one is to plop a mine right on top of the base to a major powerup , Ie:Udamage or shields , that almost guarantees a kill against bots. the lasermines are very balanced and extremely useful :lol: and i'm not sure but do proxies detonate firemines???

but I miss the melee attack of the old claw.
Gasman
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Gasman »

i'm not sure but do proxies detonate firemines???
Yes they do and if they don't die from the explosion, they get ticked off and come after you. 8O
Gasman