Dropped in to say Hi and guage interest in Chaos for DOOM-3

Feel free to chat about non-Chaos stuff in here.
Rimshot
Chaotic Dreams Team

Dropped in to say Hi and guage interest in Chaos for DOOM-3

Post by Rimshot »

Just thought I would say Hi !!!

I am still alive and kicking, got my head straight after Iraq and wanted to see if anybody would be interested in Modding Chaos for DOOM-3

I messed with the editor and it is GTKRadient. almost identical to Quake 2 and Quake 3. The improvement tho is that you can mess with the entities just like UT.

I would only commit to this though if we had enough interest , an active schedule for development, and enough people to tackle each area of development.

When Quake 4 comes out next year it will be the same engine and should be easy to adapt if we had a working Doom3 mod.

I opened a couple maps and was blown away by what i think i could accomplish in this engine.

If you are interested and I get enough response to go ahead with this you can mail me at:

Rimshot@planetquake.com

or

Rimshot@thedragonsden.net

Later Bro's
Rimshot
Chaotic Dreams
Development Team
Zachariah
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Zachariah »

I'd Rather see Chaos On the HL2 (source) engine
TKATK
the magical link fairy

Post by TKATK »

Imo doom3 mutli is pretty bad,most of the rooms in the game are squares(with shadows and bump mapping),so i guess it would be the same in mods too,The Doom3 engine has pretty weak physics which would rule a few weps out

so i would rather like to see Chaos come to stalker or (Maybe) half life
General_Sun

Post by General_Sun »

TKATK, you seem to be one of those who thinks that the limit of the d3 engine is doom 3 itself. Well it isn't, lol.

You can do a lot more things with the engine that you can't do with ut, esp the realistic shadows stuff. :wink:

The square rooms.... It wouldn't make sense that an engine limits things to squares, that makes very much no sense at all.....

I don't know about the weak physics systems though. Beats me.
High Council member of The Generals
TKATK
the magical link fairy

Post by TKATK »

a game is a showcase of what a engine can do(in some cases),and doom3 showcased pretty much square rooms with nice shaodws and a zombie in every corner,not too impressive :?
neolith
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by neolith »

General_Sun wrote:TKATK, you seem to be one of those who thinks that the limit of the d3 engine is doom 3 itself. Well it isn't, lol.

You can do a lot more things with the engine that you can't do with ut, esp the realistic shadows stuff. :wink:

The square rooms.... It wouldn't make sense that an engine limits things to squares, that makes very much no sense at all.....
I disagree.
Without rewriting a lot of parts of the rendering engine you will not get visuals that look much different from what you see in Doom3.

In Doom3 you have a lot less control on how things are rendered. In other engines the looks are much more dependent on simple textures. Doom3 tech relies mainly on normal and spec maps - diffuse maps are not that important, because you can completely change it and still get almost no change in the look of an object. The bad thing with this is that the combination of the simple normal and spec maps Doom3 uses only allows you to create shiny metal and dull plastic.

And for creating levels it isn't much better. Doom3 does not support shadow maps. It does have realtime stencil shadows, yes, but they can only be pure black or pure white, soft shadows are not possible. Also this system doesn't allow for radiosity or even the fake of it, because too many light sources will immediately slow down the system. Therefore you'll always get the freaky shadows seen in Doom3.

The next problem is the lack of polygon throughput with the engine. Both stencil shadows and normal mapping require a lot of hardware power. Mix that with the fact that normal maps may not be compressed and you get pretty low fps. This is the reason for the box rooms. There are even six sided coke cans in the game and they are there for a reason.

And now take a look at the Q4 screenies. The game has been in development for like 3 or 4 years IIRC and it does look exactly like Doom3 with outdoor visuals that already looked better in HalfLife.

Yes, Doom3 does use the latest technology in every aspect. And that's the problem with it. The engine is not flexible. It more or less worked with Doom3, but I doubt that you'll see many games using it. Not as many as UT tech or Q3 tech.
–The biggest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn't exist.–
Rimshot
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Rimshot »

Been as far as the "HELL" level yet, not to many square flat surfaces there.

The couple things I liked were the shadows that move.

The objects you can move around a map "boxes, chairs, etc..."

Looking at the map editor I noticed that it was like combining Quake 3 mapping and UnrealEd. Very much more flexible from a mapper's point of view.

Yes the multiplayer blows, but the goal here would not to be finished with a DOOM Mod but to start building material that we could convert to Quake 4 "which will use the same engine".

I wrote a reply below in the dev section, I guess I should have copied it here too.

I don't want to MOD for doom 3 and release it.

I want to use the engine to start making the material we would need to MOD Quake 4 when it is released next year.

From what I have been hearing from my Quake MOD buddues, it will convert really easy.

Just want to use DOOM3 as a test base.

Comments ?
Rimshot
Chaotic Dreams
Development Team
Rimshot
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Rimshot »

HL2 might also be a possibility I might be interested in, got to research it more tho.

I just didn't see much change when they released Condition Zero.

It was a lot of hype leading up to it , and then it was a real letdown for me.

That's why I hadn't given HL much thought.

Will look at it again tho.

And I'll be honest, I know the Radient editor and UnrealED very well, would not take much for me to start cranking out quality maps.

Anything else I would have to learn from scratch.
Rimshot
Chaotic Dreams
Development Team
TKATK
the magical link fairy

Post by TKATK »

CZ was a expansion pack for a crappy game that was juggled around like if it was a flaming potato....

I think that the top game's that Chaos/istic can continue in would be

Unreal 3(SP based,but still would be cool i guess)(if it has moddability)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R(if it has moddability and MP)
HL2(not sure)
neolith
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by neolith »

TKATK wrote:Unreal 3
Please keep in mind that U3 is nothing more than a game engine so far. No games using it have been announced yet. But I cannot wait to see some screenies of games that do! ;)
–The biggest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn't exist.–
TKATK
the magical link fairy

Post by TKATK »

Bioware buyed and said that UE3 is great for RPG's,so there's a RPG
Epic iirc said that theyre first UE3 game shall be SP based,announcement too
2006/7 is rumored to be UE3
General_Sun

Post by General_Sun »

neolith wrote:
TKATK wrote:Unreal 3
Please keep in mind that U3 is nothing more than a game engine so far. No games using it have been announced yet. But I cannot wait to see some screenies of games that do! ;)
I was under the impression that it's a sequal to unreal 2.
High Council member of The Generals
neolith
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by neolith »

TKATK wrote:Bioware buyed and said that UE3 is great for RPG's,so there's a RPG
Cool, I didn't know that - did they say what kind of RPG they had in mind?
TKATK
the magical link fairy

Post by TKATK »

they only said that UE3 is great for RPG's after they got it...thats all ive heard about on that matter
ChaosJester

Post by ChaosJester »

Yeah, and Bioware's RPG may be the first U3 engine title released. All I know is that Epic said it won't be a UT title. iirc, they never said it wouldn't be an Unreal title.
Jingle, jingle, boom. Oops, you're dead.
That sucks cause I wanted to play....
But let the show go on!