Mod bugs across system, including CUT V1.1

All about Chaos for Unreal... (UT3, UT2004, UT2003, UT)
Andyo

Mod bugs across system, including CUT V1.1

Post by Andyo »

Hi. I downloaded what I thought was v1.1 of CUT (I got the 1.1 readme anyhow) -which I understand to be a later version than the GOTYE and earleir editions After-GOTYE editions. .

However, some changes are not there-
team coloured turrets (that I can remember seeing),
improved (ie fixed) slowmo feature,
fixed crossbow scope since GOTYE
-(Darn thing still shoots straight down and to the right, from the right hip, not to the crosshair in the center, and only using zoomstops fixes this)

A lot of other things listed in the "what's new for 1.1" (like teamcoloured proxies) are there, and of course I got the v1.1 help file with whatever I downloaded.

Anyhow, bottom line is I got most things but some of them are weirdly lacking, not sure if it's a UT bug or what, since a lot of other stuff is having trouble too

Here's a small list of stuff that clearly should work but doesn't in other mods. Some mods work without a hitch, while others have selective and blatant bugs that no self respecting tester would let by:

Bots don't use their class-specific special abilities In FEBA Episode 2, FEBA Deathmatch mutator is clearly buggy, FEBA force classes for teams is screwed up now, Stuffswapper 3.2 won't recognize anything but UT- and I got Zark, FEBA 2.0, CUT v1.1, Excessive v1.00 , M16, and maybe a couple of others.
Also, even Decalstay has trouble telling me the proper state in the text under the slider and checkboxes.
And so on. Including the CUT problems.

I use UT Map Manager 1.5 for all my installations, may have had a virus scanner running for some of the installations, and have "mod menu extension" installed, with its "preload mods" option clickable on and off, which cuts into FPS when on, as well as taking a minute or so to load up all the mods one by one when I click on the mods menu. I got a whole lot of my mods from their Planetunreal's Mod Squad review download link, not from the mod homepage.

I'm hoping that it's something I overlooked and will not have to reinstall UT -though I do have all the files on CD, and definitely have the time. I'm just hoping it's something else. I just may reinstall UT out of frustration - but want to ensure the damn thing works the second time.

I realize this is more than a CUT problem, but please bear with me. The alt.binaries.games.unreal tournament or whatever newsgroup is not that frequently visited, it seems.

Thanks,
Andrew
jb

Re: Mod bugs across system, including CUT V1.1

Post by jb »

Andrew sorry for your troubles. But what did you download..was it the upgreade or the fully? The upgrade only works for version 1.0 of CUT.
Jb
Wormbo
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by Wormbo »

Note that GOTYE = beta 3.5, i.e. NOT v1.0
Andyo

Maddening mods

Post by Andyo »

The CUT 1.1 full umod. Didn't have any earlier versions.

Could it be UT Map Manager 1.5 or Windows XP? I uninstalled UT using the Windows uninstall menu, clicked all the options listed. I reinstalled UT and the various troublesome mods using UTMM- and made sure that damn virus scanner was off. And then it turns out some mods- and just about all of my maps as I could tell- were still there, even though UT had "forgotten" everything else.

I got just about all my mods off of Planetunreal Mod Squad review download links-could that be the cause? Just a few bad downloads- because everything else works absolutely fine, maps included? FEBA Episode 2, CUT v1.1, Stuffswapper 3.2 and Decalstay are the only mods affected-at all. And I got CUT 1.1 off the PlanetUnreal Modsquad review link, I think. Every download got virus scanned as it was being downloaded, by Mcaffee -I now have Norton.

How do I do a complete reinstall? I'm somewhat lost as to why this happened in the first place, so am reluctant to go through it all again for nothing. I did a quasi-reinstall and am no further ahead than before! Exact same problems as before.
FurrySound

Post by FurrySound »

I recommend you do a complete reinstall of UT to a NEW folder, install patch v436, Bonus Packs 1 & 4, and then CUT v1.1 FULL. And see if Chaos works then. Use the umod installation for CUT v1.1. If you don't have it, pop on over to www.furrysound.net to pick it up.

FurrySound{Moo}
Wormbo
Chaotic Dreams Team

Re: Maddening mods

Post by Wormbo »

Andyo wrote:I uninstalled UT using the Windows uninstall menu, clicked all the options listed. [...] And then it turns out some mods- and just about all of my maps as I could tell- were still there, even though UT had "forgotten" everything else.
The UT setup only removes files added by UMOD installers because it simply can't detect other files that were added manually or via a seperate setup program.
Andyo

Um, How do I reinstall?

Post by Andyo »

Thanks for the advice. I tried to reinstall the first time, and it did jack all. Wondering how to do it right.

I know I go to uninstall in the windows control panel, and select UT, as well as everything else. Then I delete the old folder, or any remnants.

As for the new folder, Does UT allow me to select a new folder for install, or is C:\UnrealTournament automatic?.

Do UMods need the default C:\UnrealTournament directory to find UT or do they simply find it using specific files?

Could it just be some bad downloads or UT Map Manager (UTMM) being corrupted somehow? (I know, 4 bad downloads sounds sketchy)

Would I be able to uninstall stuff through the Control Panel uninstall if I installed it via Umod instead of Map Manager? (I take it from Wormbo, that's a "yes" if UT Setup is the Windows uninstall menu).

I've never installed using a UMOD before. Just open her up anywhere and she'll find UT, no matter what folder?

The main reason I use UTMM instead of UMods is that it seemed easier. Maybe UTMM (or a bad DL of it) is the problem. Is there any real point to UTMM if you got a UMod -especially if you can uninstall every UMod file from the windows control panetl?

Anyhow, sorry for the barrage of questions. But this may answer my previous "bug report" about the crossbow aiming. You guys have been great.

-TIA,
Andrew
Andyo

Destructive mods?

Post by Andyo »

Heard on a newsgroup and in feedbacks for some mod reviews that some mods screw up UT, needing a reinstal. How would I prevent what happened before to UT from simply happening again?
FurrySound

Post by FurrySound »

To prevent it... backup your UT folder before installing a new mod.

Ask away!!

Ok. UT will allow you to install to a different folder. This will update the 'location of UT' so when you install a UMOD, it should automatically show you the new installation directory. I've never used UTMM, instead I either us the UMOD or the ZIP'd version and install it manually.

FurrySound{Moo}
Andyo

Yet another question (yawn..) ;O)

Post by Andyo »

Wondering if UMODS and maps installed using UMODs can be uninstalled using some kind of menu somewhere- say in the Windows Uninstall programs thingy under UT.

Also wondering- by backing up my UT directory, do you mean UT\System\ ?

If so, Is there anything in specific? 187MB seems a bit large to back up every time I add in new mod, which will be frequently at first, because I got a variety of them, including mutators.

And "after every mod" -does that include maps too?

Know I got a downloaded NG text file about where to put what files somewhere around here.

Could a bad download (or two, three..) be responsible for troubles? If so, what causes them and how do I prevent it?
Sir Tahngarth

Post by Sir Tahngarth »

no, UT\everything. and anything installed via a UMOD can be removed individually by going to UT setup in add/remove programs.
I slay thee in the name of Khaz Modan!
FurrySound

Post by FurrySound »

If you are installing a map, do it manually and note what files it uses. That way when UT starts acting up you can see what the last thing you did was and then backtrack and don't reinstall that item. Yes, backup everything. I know its a lot, but if you can track down the problem, then you've saved yourself a lot of time and can also remove the older backups then.

FurrySound{Moo}
FurrySound{TOC}
-The sun never sets on the Chaotic Dreams Empire
Andyo

Almost there..(God I feel stupid..)

Post by Andyo »

Thanks guys (or guys and gals, or just gals- who knows with the internet, anyhow? ;o))

I have got like a dozen mods, mutators whatever. So what you're saying is basically burn C:\UnrealTournament to CD after I install Patch, BP 1 and 4, and then reburn after each new mod?

Is there any way I could just select certain files that change with each install, while not altering ones that don't? I just want to save time with the backups. My idea is to burn all of UT, once I have it patched and Bonuspacked, and then, in separate named folders, only backup the files that change every time I install something new. Or do mods do really widespread changes that pretty much necessitate a fresh install each time?

Once something went wrong, would I just reinstall UT by wiping it, and copying the CD back into the old directory- and everything would work ala last install?

Also still wondering about bad downloads, because it could affect the patch and bonus packs even. Heard they can happen, can mess things up pretty good, and wondering how to prevent them.

The above is a major sticking oint- if ,for example, the patch is a bad DL, I'm screwed from the start, and may only notice things a while down the road.

Also wondering if anything I can do under XP to make it less of a processor hog, besides defragging and the UT Tweak Guide. That's basically my FPS bottleneck. I know I can set UT to a higher priority, but not quite sure it works (haven't done a controlled test), and the farther up I set it, the less stable and sluggish windows seems to get.
R.Flagg
Chaotic Dreams Team

Post by R.Flagg »

There is another approach. Just to put a thought in your mind.

Live life on the edge. I have reinstalled Q2/UT/UT2 so many times it's second nature to me.

Once you have all the 'stuff' that you like on a CD, it's no big deal. It is pretty rare to have a mod mess your game up, IF you stick with well known mods. But...if you wish to try lots and lots of little, lesser known muts out there, then I suggest you just don't worry about it. What happens, happens. Think of the time you would save with all this backiing up and keeping track, and talking about backing up, and keeping track, etc.

Burn your favorite mods to CD, as well as the bonus packs and stuff, favorite maps, and models, etc, and then just play and have fun. Should some mod or mut mess you up, smile, delete everything, and start reloading from CDs.

I've done it for years, and it works for me. Just a thought.
elpollodiablo

Post by elpollodiablo »

i wonder, is reinstalling in the same directory without uninstalling a good way to repair f-ed up files in the game?